Plastic hardware cloth?

dacasodivine

Songster
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
I am building a tractor for the chicks I don't even have yet.
lol.png
I went to price some hardware cloth and they had some plastic as well as welded wire. I am assuming it is flimsy but thought I would check with you chicken experts before dismissing it.
wink.png

Yes, I know you don't throw new chicks out in a tractor but I like to be well prepared. Besides, if the weather is nice, they might enjoy a little time outside.

I considered using the same stuff you are talking about. I read online in it's description that it would keep dogs out. I decided against it because even if it seems pretty tough to the human hand I figure if a pair of regular scissors can cut it, so can a mean critters teeth. I had used this around my garden last year and yes it did keep our dog out, but he wasn't overly fond of tomato plants anyway and never really tried to get through it in the first place. I used kitchen scissors to cut it and my kiddo even "helped" with her safety scissors.
My hubby also made the good point that plastic will become brittle in a short time with the exposure to the elements. It would not last more than a couple of years before it needs replacing. It would end up costing more in the long run I'm sure.

I have used it for some indoor stuff-and have it to keep out wild birds at the top of a building-I also used some to make a temporary exercise pen for some teenage chicks.

Could it be used on the top of a chicken yard that has welded hardware cloth or rabbit wire (1'x1') for the sides? Not the tractor in question but the pen we will be building next?

I love it and use it all the time. Indoors...when you want an instant partition if someone isn't getting along with others or you need a place for someone to recuperate. Just roll it out, cut with scissors and staple it to the wall. Or if you need access to the area, staple one end to the wall and hook the other end to some nails and you have an instant gate. And no nasty scratches on your hands and arms from wire. I also have it outside within a wire pen for same reasons. And so far is as good as new after 3 Canadian winters and scorching heat in summer. Don't know that I would use it for exterior walls tho'.

I would not give good odds at all on plastic 'hardware cloth' vs raccoon teeth.

Also probably not vs sheer weight of raccoon, for the person who asked about using it as a run roof. (You do not necessarily need something that fine-meshed for a run roof unless you're trying to keep out wild birds, though... 2x4 welded fence mesh would do fine)

Pat

Back
Top Bottom