Plastic lidded nesting boxes- help please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prncssprplfrog, Dec 12, 2009.

1. prncssprplfrog

prncssprplfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    A while ago I read somewhere on there that people were using these plastic lidded ( think) boxes that they found somewhere- like Target, Joann's, Ikea or something..... I was trying to find a few for my girls (who still haven't started laying yet).

The boxes had a large u shaped opening in the front almost like a stackable utility bin. Any help or other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Most of my girls are bantams, but I have two reg. sized partridge Cochins. The nesting boxes that my friend's father built onto the side of my coop are way too small for them- and they leak!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:I bought that EXACT tote from Ollies, a little store that just popped up here that is similar to biglots for $5. It's a little small in my opinion for my big girls. The meat mix girl I have is too big to get in there and my cochins look scrunched. It works great for my bantams and the smaller standards.

5. prncssprplfrog

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    Those are the ones I was thinking of. I have an Ollies here & will check there. Thanks ladies!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Those are cool, I've never seen those before.

Is that what you are looking for prncssprplfrog, when I read your orginal post I was thinking of something like what I have which I was originally supposed to be used as an indoor cat litter box is what they are sold as a Walmart, but it is a large two pic, plastic container with the U shaped hole in the top, my EE hens are using it now. But what I am going to do, and what I think would be cheaper for you too, is to just get a plastic, stackable storage bin and cut a whole in it. I have 10 hens per hen and they all try to use the same nestbox with the 4 nestboxes they have availble to them, so I'll just get a bin large enough to hold 2 at the time if they wanted to.

7. prncssprplfrog

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    Did you know that the easiest way to cut a hole in those is with a wood burner- so actually you are burning a hole or line in it....

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Ollies has tons of things I use in my coops. Storage containers to hold my feed, nest boxes and they are cheap. I love them.

My most popular nest box is made out of OSB just a box with an open front except a few inches at the bottom. I wish I had a picture. IF I can find my camera I'll get some on here of a chicken in it. I like the storage tote because the lid is removable; great for spying on a broody, cleaning, but they are also stackable (if stacking I suggest bolting them together and to the wall, but thats just me)

9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    You can also use a hooded cat litter box or take a regular rubbermaid container and cut the opening yourself.

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We use plastic totes in most all our pens. Bought cheap plastic totes at wally world and cut a 8 inch diameter hole in one end. The girls just love them because it gives them more privacy and protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by