Plastic lidded nesting boxes- help please

I use inverted plant pots for nesting boxes, cutting an arched door in the side. I attach boards to both the top and the bottoms. The top is one more place to play- the bottom anchors it .

I have made something a kin to a chicken habitrail in their night coop - they free range during the day. I am no carpenter/builder so it is creative but ugly & I wanted to use scrap boards I had & recycle items on hand. My ladies love to climb, so the habitrail idea is working.

They have an old dog igloo as the main housing. I drilled a hole in either side & gorilla glues a bamboo road across as a perch. Then I made a wooden L-shaped partion to divide off the room- with a perch on it- their favorite place.

The Igloo is off the ground about 10 inches using leftover posts. They like the underneath area as summer shade.

Thw whole enclosure is probably only 10' X 6' X 5'. Going up the side is a chicken ramp/ladder going to the 2nd floor, as it wear. I screwed in a large piece of plywood. Also a plywood piece over the igloo doorway whihc is a step down. On top of the doorway piece, is one nesting house pot. Doors have about 3-4" threshold to keep the bedding and eggs inside. On the larger piece of plywood are several other nest box pots, so they have plenty of sleeping and laying quarters options. Though everyone seems to like the same on the best.

To one side is a large shutter (7') tilted. They love to climb up and down it & they like the shade underneath, when it is hot. I also have several other perches & climbing things.

Outside their night quarters are more slanted shutters for them to climb & get under. They are climbing and exploring fools. Though when I do a major change to their chicken habitrail, it takes them a little while to warm up to it.

I am always looking to find them more chicken toys & climbing activities to keep them happy. I have 5 hens. One white huge one of unknown breed (brown eggs), whoc was raised from an egg by schoolchildren & it a pet. Three little red hens who are very close. And a younger aracauna (sp) who just started laying lovely blue eggs. She is best friends with Omelet, the white hen, who protects her from the alpha red hen. They are very funny hens. well loved.

I also am interested in nutrition. I give them organic food but their main diet is fresh grass, weeds, and salad greens from my little greenhouse. I also give them yogurt which they love, fish, beans orpeaas regularly, and flax meal daily. Watermelon is by far their favorite food, sunflower kernels are another favorite. I want high Omega-3 eggs. My eggs are delicous & with a nice deep colored yolk. I have had a number of double yolks and one triple yolk.

Back
Top Bottom