plastic tote for an incubator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Oct 31, 2010.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Just wondering if anyone has ever made an incubator from a plastic tote? I'm thinking about trying. Any advice?? Do I need to insulate it?? I was thinking about buying a sheet of foam and maybe gluing it to the sides of the tote. Or maybe putting it in a card board box. IDK. Please if anyone has tried this give me all the advice you want. If it isn't a good idea feel free to tell me. Tell me what worked and what didn't. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It has been done but your better off with a foam box than something uninsulated.

3. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Has anyone ever used spray foam to insulate one?? I wonder if it will stick?

4. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:i have --- not easy --- 3 cans of foam --- temp is moderately stable in 60-90 degree indoors temp range

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    There are so many materials that make a better incubator. Styrofoam, wood, insulated coolers, etc.....I do use them (plastic totes) for brooders, but even cardboard is better for a brooder.

6. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Thank Ya For the honest advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by