Platonic or just shy?

Country Parson

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Bellefontaine, OH
I have 4 pilgrim geese----1 gander and 3 girls. I never, ever, ever see them breeding. They are always together, so access isn't the problem. Some one told me that geese and ducks only breed in water. I don't think that's true, but come to think of it the only time I've ever seen them breed was last Fall when they were in a large water tub.

I'm worried my long-anticipated goose eggs will not be fertile...

Water seems to have an amorous effect on some geese and ducks, but is not necessary for them to mate. It does however, improve fertility rates -- especially in heavier breeds.

That said, mating season is just now gearing up in most places. In some it won't get into full swing for another couple of weeks, so be patient. Also keep in mind just because you don't see it happen doesn't mean it's not happening.

A few years ago we kept two geese. Didn't know what sex they were and assumed they may be two of the same cause we never saw them mating or even doing anything remotely like mating behaviour. When they started laying we knew at least one of them was a female. When she started sitting on some eggs we still didn't know if they were actually fertile or not. I don't know if geese go broody like chickens do? Anyway she hatched out three babies. But we never saw them mating. Maybe geese just like a bit more privacy than chickens... We didn't have a pond btw, they bathed in the cows' water trough!

Quote:
hmm.png

Yours did.

Anyway she hatched out three babies.

And she's not a rarity in that respect.
wink.png

Quote:
I sometimes think Pilgrims got that name because they are prudes. Not only did I never catch them mating, but they would get all upset and try to break it up when the ducks mated! It didn't stop them from giving me 8 goslings for each of the 2 years I had them.

Quote:
hmm.png

Yours did.

Naw, what I meant was I don't know if they go broody when they haven't got fertile eggs to hatch out? Y'know, like when people on here post threads along the lines of "Gaaahh! Why have I got five broodies in the middle of December?" or "I just found my Silky sitting on ten plums!" At that point I kinda thought both of them were females cause it seemed like an awful lot of eggs for just one goose to be laying. Really wasn't expecting any babies...

Back
Top Bottom