Playhouse Coop

ecogirl2206

Songster
Feb 26, 2017
I needed to get my chicken out of the house! The ladies pecked her bloody and attack at every attempted reintroduction, so I thought the free playhouse I was given might work. I have a lot of planned upgrades but it's at least as serviceable as the dog crate I was using! Tek #8 lath screws were awesome...1/2" would have been better. Total cost $15 and less than an hour of work. Planning on building base with wheels for chicken tractor, adding roosts, nest box, and PVC pipe waterer and feeder.
IMG_20200603_170945320.jpg
IMG_20200603_170957487.jpg

Shes been out of the flock for 7 months. I've tried slowly reintroducing her with barriers, etc but the second they can get at her ALL FOUR attack..like they're trying to kill her. There's always blood involved. They kept her from food and water for several days last time. The problems started when one of the flock members died, i guess she was the peacekeeper. I think I've given up reintroduction. The plan is instead to get 1-2 brahma or buff to keep her company and tractor them around my acre with fresh grass every day :D The other hens can be a$$holes in their stationary coop and she and friends will live the high life! I may try again when i built their permanent, large coop and run. 64 sq feet coop and 700 sq foot run for max of 8 birds ( I have 5 now)

What do you guys think about using 1x2 cedar framing for an 3' x 8' base to add wheels and run to or should i use 2x2 pressure treated lumber? I find most coops are way over engineered for 60-100lbs of coop and 30 lbs of bird.... I want to keep it as light as possible for tractoring around.

What do you guys think about using 1x2 cedar framing for an 3' x 8' base to add wheels and run to or should i use 2x2 pressure treated lumber? I find most coops are way over engineered for 60-100lbs of coop and 30 lbs of bird.... I want to keep it as light as possible for tractoring around.
Have you considered PVC pipes instead? I've been looking at vlogs on youtube for coop ideas and came across a few tractor ideas using PVC pipes.

Would PVC work even as a base? I"m worried it may be difficult to attach the Playhouse to the rounded PVC... and then i was wondering how you attach PVC to a wood base for building the run if i go that route....

Back
Top Bottom