Playhouse into Coop

CanbyDan

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2015
Canby OR
Our flock is growing and time has come to improve living conditions. Been watching local Craigslist for a new coop (crazy prices!) when I found this kids playhouse for less then materials cost!

Wish I had a pic of when I first picked it up, looked so cute full of kids toys and the wavy slide that came off the porch (where ladder is). Foot print is 4 x 8', interior is about 4 x 6' and about 8' to roof peak (from floor). Builder did a great job of building it, 4x4's in the corners, 2x4's on 16' centers, she survived freeway speeds on the 20 mile trip home. Overhang you see here (back of coop) was used to hang a couple bicycles, will probably keep it but add some Gingerbread to improve the "curb" appeal. 2 x 4' cutout is for the swing out nesting boxes and to make cleaning easy. House sits about 20" off ground (yes it's a bit crooked as it was built on a small grade, I'll trim supports to level) and will be screened with 1/2" hardware cloth.

My sweetheart Vicki is painting (sealing) all the interior surfaces. This is to help with cleaning and keep odors from soaking into wood. We're thinking of having the young kids in our family paint their own chickens inside.

Beginning of the nest box. Each box is about 12 x 16" and will be outside the coop. One of our girls found out how tasty eggs are, so I designed it so the eggs roll out after laying. Each nest will be lined with removable indoor/outdoor carpet, there will be a small hinged covering over the egg tray.

My rough drawing of the roll out nesting box, fell free to let me know if anyone see's any problem with my design.

More to come as we work on it in between planting our 8000 sqft garden.

Dan

Last edited:
Nice! That was a really good deal you found on CL. Are you going to have a run attached to it when you're done?

Nice! That was a really good deal you found on CL. Are you going to have a run attached to it when you're done?

NorthFLChick,

Yes, there will be a 6 x 12' x 6' tall cyclone fence (ex dog run) that comes off front of the coop. Daylight hours the 10 hens and one rooster free range. Run is mostly for the times we need a break from reality and take off for a couple days R & R on the Oregon Coast.

Dan

thumbsup.gif
(On the coop, the run and taking a break from reality, lol)

Back
Top Bottom