Playhouse to coop conversion?

Which plan do you think I should go with?

• Plan one (original post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan two (post further down, also has list of several chicken breeds on it)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
I am thinking of getting a plastic playhouse off craigslist to convert into a coop. Here is a front view of it:
View attachment 2203063
I could probably do something similar with most other playhouses, but this one is the easiest/biggest. It has windows on both sides that open with shutters, and another alcove-window thing in the back. I plan to:
-Add floor
-make better door
-convert front alcove into nesting boxes, accessible from outside
-Seal one window
-Cover remaining window in hardware cloth(with shutters still able to open and close
-Create ramp down into run from back alcove
-Seal off part of back alcove and add some ventilation as well
-add roost
The coop is 5x5, which if I'm correct, should be enough for 6 birds.
I'm planning to put this in an 8x8 run. Here is my plan (it's kinda confusing, but I'll explain)
View attachment 2203088
The pink is the outline of the run.
The blue is the outline of the playhouse/coop.
The red is doors and windows (shutters)
The purple is the direction that they swing to close.
The green is stuff that's inside the coop (you could see it if you took the roof off.
The South window that is in the run is going to be sealed. The nesting boxes will have dividers, and the hatches to open them swing up from the outside. The North window that is outside of the run will have hardware cloth, and the shutters could be adjusted depending on how much heat needs to be kept in or moving out.
The run will have a roof over most if not all of it.
Thoughts? Will the playhouse work as a coop? Do the modifications seem good? Is this overall enough space for 6 standard size chickens? They would be able to have some supervised free ranging time as well. I'm honestly probably forgetting something with this post but oh well. Sorry the plans are so confusing.
Oh goodness the plan I had written out before is complicated. here's a plan that I think uses space a lot better:
View attachment 2203228
I didn't really draw it out the whole way, but similar stuff applies:
-Front alcove becomes nesting boxes with outdoor access
-better door
-One window sealed, one window for adjustable ventilation
Benefits of this plan:
-more compact (even tho it has more square footage, it seems a lot less giant
-more space
-Walk in run
The hens that would be in either of these coop plans would be initially 3 barred rocks, then later adding an easter egger, silver laced cochin, and lavender orpington. Second flock could be (when we're down to 2 or 0 birds from the original flock) whichever 2 are left, a light brahma, and 2 of these breeds, depending on which 2 are left from the original flock:
-australorp
-easter egger
-white cochin
-red sex link
-olive egger
-barred rock

I am thinking of getting a plastic playhouse off craigslist to convert into a coop. Here is a front view of it:
View attachment 2203063
I could probably do something similar with most other playhouses, but this one is the easiest/biggest. It has windows on both sides that open with shutters, and another alcove-window thing in the back. I plan to:
-Add floor
-make better door
-convert front alcove into nesting boxes, accessible from outside
-Seal one window
-Cover remaining window in hardware cloth(with shutters still able to open and close
-Create ramp down into run from back alcove
-Seal off part of back alcove and add some ventilation as well
-add roost
The coop is 5x5, which if I'm correct, should be enough for 6 birds.
I'm planning to put this in an 8x8 run. Here is my plan (it's kinda confusing, but I'll explain)
View attachment 2203088
The pink is the outline of the run.
The blue is the outline of the playhouse/coop.
The red is doors and windows (shutters)
The purple is the direction that they swing to close.
The green is stuff that's inside the coop (you could see it if you took the roof off.
The South window that is in the run is going to be sealed. The nesting boxes will have dividers, and the hatches to open them swing up from the outside. The North window that is outside of the run will have hardware cloth, and the shutters could be adjusted depending on how much heat needs to be kept in or moving out.
The run will have a roof over most if not all of it.
Thoughts? Will the playhouse work as a coop? Do the modifications seem good? Is this overall enough space for 6 standard size chickens? They would be able to have some supervised free ranging time as well. I'm honestly probably forgetting something with this post but oh well. Sorry the plans are so confusing.

The only thing about the plan in the article, was I thought the nesting box should be lower.... but, if you can get the roost far enough away from the boxes... all the better. Keep us posted!
Yes, I'll try to keep the roost higher than the nesting boxes, but low enough so that they don't bump their heads....if that doesn't work out I believe that under one of the alcoves there's a little cabinet, depending on the size I could put some in there. Getting eggs from the outside would be super convenient though.

It looks cute. Make sure you keep it in the shade. That plastic gets hot and the sun really destroys the plastic. I think making a plywood floor and raising it up will give chickens more room in the pen And a safer floor. Always remember... safety from predators , dry shelter to get out of the rain and cold, enough space for 6 chickens. Check YouTube for some good videos on how much room chickens need to roost and the size of nesting boxes.

It looks cute. Make sure you keep it in the shade. That plastic gets hot and the sun really destroys the plastic. I think making a plywood floor and raising it up will give chickens more room in the pen And a safer floor. Always remember... safety from predators , dry shelter to get out of the rain and cold, enough space for 6 chickens. Check YouTube for some good videos on how much room chickens need to roost and the size of nesting boxes.
I didn't think about the sun, I'll make sure it ends up in a shady spot! Yes, I was thinking plywood for the floor on a frame made out of 2x4s. I know that for roosts, they need 1ft of roost space per bird ish? I might do 2 roosts instead of 1. For nesting box sizing, I've read that they should be 1 cubic foot. I might make them a bit bigger, because I'm thinking of getting some larger birds at some point.

it will be so cute. I can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm super excited to try to build it! I'm now doing some quick maths to see what the lumber would cost-just the 2x4s and stuff, not anything else. Depending on cost of materials, I may buy one new, but probably not.

I'm super excited to try to build it! I'm now doing some quick maths to see what the lumber would cost-just the 2x4s and stuff, not anything else. Depending on cost of materials, I may buy one new, but probably not.
You wont spend NEARLY as much on lumber with a redo. Building costs way more! As does buying a GOOD prebuilt one!

You wont spend NEARLY as much on lumber with a redo. Building costs way more! As does buying a GOOD prebuilt one!
Whoops, I should have made myself clearer: I might buy a new playhouse, instead of a secondhand one. I might have to change plans a bit, depending if stuff is still on the market when I need it.

Back
Top Bottom