Playing in the rain

Alpha Chick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
St Pete, FL
I am in FL and it has been really hot for several weeks. Each night, when I get home from work, my husband and I head out to the chickens and open their tractor into the additional run space (not predator proof so we have to be near when they are in it). We bring them snacks of breads, fruits and vegetables and we are normally met by enthusiastic clucking. Tonight the looks on the girls faces were tired, hot and weary. They didn't run out to feast, they sauntered out and nibbled. Looking to the sky, I saw grey clouds gathering and told the girls to eat the outside treats before it rains.

About 30 minutes later it started to rain, first the huge drops that you can run between, then the heavy pouring sheets that I love to see. I peaked out of the back door to see the girls all inside the tractor but I left the door to the run open in case the sun came out briefly. About 5 minutes later, still raining hard, I looked out again and saw the girls dancing in the rain, running in and out of the tractor, jumping and playing in the rain. They looked like children and I wouldn't have been surprised to see boots on their feet.

I can say that they stayed up extra late tonight, playing and eating the snacks that now tasted good to them. They were cool and happy as they made their way up to bed. I am hoping that the FL weather pattern continues with a heavy rain in the afternoon to break the heat a bit. Soon they will have a big girl coop with lots of ventilation and room inside and a full size run that is fully predator proof, but for now, I will remember to turn on the sprinkler for them if it doesn't rain.

wow that sounds so cute
big_smile.png

My Girls love being out in the rain. They do not, however, want anything to do with the sprinkler. I have no idea why...

We're in Gainesville and are getting the heat and humidity but not the afternoon showers!!
sad.png
Maybe once or twice a week we get the rain. It has been hotter than I can remember in over 30 years.

But all the girls are doing well even if they are panting. They find lots of shady spots...their favorite being under the patio table/umbrella that we put out in the yard. They have wallowed out the ground under it and lounge there much of the day.

Back
Top Bottom