Playing with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AKChicks4, Mar 16, 2015.

1. AKChicks4

AKChicks4 New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    Fist timer here and we just got two chicks yesterday with s few more coming next wkend :)

Just wondering if it's good/ok to play with the chicks (let them run around on the floor) I have two kids 3 and under, we wouldn't leave them without one of us but I wasn't sure if it would be too stressful.
    Thanks!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    when they are really little, i would stick with sitting calmly and holding them in your lap for no more than 5 minutes at a time. They are pretty fragile, and playing with young kids might get too stressful. I would put a towel on you lap unless you want to clean up chick droppings! As they get older and more feathers, playtime would probably be fun!

1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Yes, playing with and handling them is fine, in fact it will keep them tame and make them easyeir to handle when they grow up as well. Make sure the little ones are not left alone with the young children though, my younger sister killed a chick when she was little by keeping it in her hand to long. Enjoy your little peepers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I just got my two chicks too and I hold them and give them attention everyday.! It's been a week now and everytime they hear my voice they start peeping loudly and stare at me.! XD
    Just be careful with little kids, my daughter is two and she scared them a lot with quick movements or she might pet them a little hard but now she understands that they are "babies" and she needs to be gentle and calm when they come out :)

5. AKChicks4

AKChicks4 New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone! We have been holding and petting them, even let them down to run around a bit, they seem to love it. We will keep it up and just make sure it's for short periods. My three year old is fantastic with them and loves to have them chase him around :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by