Please Advice: LONG time between eggs hatching. Take em out?

TumbleGrump

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Tennessee
I had 12 eggs in incubator from a fairly rare breed here in the US. On day 14 11 out of the 12 seemed to be developed. However, because of the rare breed I left the 12th in.
We did everything we could to manage the humidity and temperature, and ofcourse everything seemed to be going off the normal path. First off all we caught the mailman throwing the box with eggs from a 5 feet distance on the porch. (box was labeled perfectly with EGGS, Live Embryos, etc) The eggs were 3 days longer on the way than the 2 day delivery time supposed to be. When in incubator we got 2x a power interruption. 1x due to lightning and power was off for 2.5 hours. For some reason we couldn't manage the humidity very well, either hours and hours on 30-35% or 70-72% due to very dry freezing air. In the beginning the temp was 100 - 101 (after second week we got it fine tuned to 99.5) We used our most solid incubator (sportsman) we used in 2 years before this season. As you see; Totally not the perfect setting.

Now past saturday we had our first egg pipping on day 19, and came out this morning on day 21. In the meanwhile 9 of the 12 hatched over the last 12 hours and 2 others are pipped. Because the one who started pipping on saturday, hatched this morning, is dry and very strong compared to the others, and normally ready to go in brooder.
What shall I do? Take some out with the chance that the other 2 are getting s.wrapped? I also do not want to lose the ones I have. We never (!!) expected after everything such an amazing result!!
I know they can be in the incubator for 24 hours, and the others are still wet but it is so tempting to get them out, give the some gell and have them safe....
I'm a little bit more anxious because the breed and money I spend for them...

What to do, please advice!

Marty

Turn the light off and go to bed. The ones out will peep and talk to the other eggs. They in turn will have more motivation to get busy. You'll have a wonderful surprise in the morning. You are only on day 21 so don't lose hope with the last 2. If you don't see any changes tomorrow afternoon, I'd be tempted to pull the hatched chicks and quickly candle the 2 remaining. You can place a wet paper towel near the last eggs to up the humidity if they look dry where they're pipped. You've done a phenomenal job even if you lose the last two.
What breed?

Last edited:
Yay, you did great despite all the challenges. I agree to let em finish and fully dry and get their legs working before moving. Remember be careful opening the door - have a transport bin ready by the door - if i remember right they can tumble out!

Patience...Patience...Patience...
and i truly believe that the other 2 will hatch as-well, what would make it 11 out of 12.
The first chicks of the season are always a special and anxious moment...

Yeah, and I am very very doubting. The 2 left over pips: 1 is almost out, but in same state as last night. The other pip hasn't moved or any activity since last night. There is some brownish stuff coming out of the egg. The other one who is 1/4 out is moving but doesnt make any progress anymore. The other 9 are alive and kicking and moving around like elephants in a porcelain cabinet. Some of them are however trying to gasp for something with their beak open and close. They are out of eggs now for 36-40 hours (some of them)
I'm afraid that if I take em in the brooder, the one who is not completely out yet, will be shrink wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom