Please Beware of Coop Fires

Scotty O XYZ

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2020
2
27
34
Scott here in Northern California. Good to be able to share and gain chicken info and continue to love my flock. I have had chickens for 20 years, ever since my middle child got us hooked when he was in elementary school.
I am not techno savvy in any way, I still wanted to share an experience that happened yesterday. Is this the right forum spot?
Looked out yesterday and my coop was in flames. We called 911, I started hosing, calling neighbors, rescuing chickens, and managing the chaos. We are right in the Ca. wild land danger region and in a red flag warning day. Long story short: I had a heat lamp to help out a couple of bantum silkies which were a bit behind the rest of the 12 young hens. Even though the heat lamp did have the protective cage around it, the chick rough housing probably made it slip down and catch fire. The fire chief said that those 250 watt bulbs can be quite a hazzard when a lower wattage bulb might have not caused the fire. With that said, it was still 100% my fault. Lost 3 chickens. It could have been so much worse
3 years ago my cousin lost her whole house to the exact same issue, a hot bulb heating bedding material.
Thanks for listening. Be safe.
Scott
 

Hei 20

Free Ranging
Oct 8, 2020
1,926
10,851
501
Scott here in Northern California. Good to be able to share and gain chicken info and continue to love my flock. I have had chickens for 20 years, ever since my middle child got us hooked when he was in elementary school.
I am not techno savvy in any way, I still wanted to share an experience that happened yesterday. Is this the right forum spot?
Looked out yesterday and my coop was in flames. We called 911, I started hosing, calling neighbors, rescuing chickens, and managing the chaos. We are right in the Ca. wild land danger region and in a red flag warning day. Long story short: I had a heat lamp to help out a couple of bantum silkies which were a bit behind the rest of the 12 young hens. Even though the heat lamp did have the protective cage around it, the chick rough housing probably made it slip down and catch fire. The fire chief said that those 250 watt bulbs can be quite a hazzard when a lower wattage bulb might have not caused the fire. With that said, it was still 100% my fault. Lost 3 chickens. It could have been so much worse
3 years ago my cousin lost her whole house to the exact same issue, a hot bulb heating bedding material.
Thanks for listening. Be safe.
Scott
loss.jpg
20201204_10372515.jpg
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom