Please check my ventilation!!

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Ok, my coop has been under ventilated for some time, however I did have a flock before this one live in it for 12 years. I want to do better but I am one old lady doing it by myself. I have a walk in coop that is 64 sq ft with 9 birds. Please take a look at the video and tell me what you think. I can’t take a whole wall out just by the nature of the building and how it was designed. I live in Fort Worth Texas with heat indexes well over 100 during the day. Hottest nights will stay around 85-90. I also have a small 12 in battery powered fan that runs in there at night. l am waiting for my 18 in barn fan for the run during the hot days. Hopefully you experts can tell me at least it’s satisfactory. Make an old lady feel better about herself 😂😂
@aart @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing the right thinks to get cross ventilation in the coop.

That top window above the entrance door…can that be opened or converted to be an opening? If so, that will give more upper draft ventilation which along with the ridge vent will move air up and through the top on hot, still days. Otherwise, I agree….Look at you go, Buddy.

Looks like you are doing the right thinks to get cross ventilation in the coop.

That top window above the entrance door…can that be opened or converted to be an opening? If so, that will give more upper draft ventilation which along with the ridge vent will move air up and through the top on hot, still days. Otherwise, I agree….Look at you go, Buddy.
That is a fake window and with the hardware cloth covering the run I can’t get to it. I have some 3 inch round louvred gable vents that I am going to add with a hole saw but they won’t be that high up. It’s better than nothing. Heat index ended up being 115 today so I didn’t get the other windows done. Going to try to get one done each morning about 6:30am till they are all done. Soooo damn hot!

Numbers don't always mean much, those are just guidelines, so can't say per your request.
The more the better in your climate.

Good job on adding the windows, but I would put the hinges at the top so rain can't come in when they are open.

Good job! Agree, continue with the extra 'window panes' you're adding, and also ditto attaching the "shutters" with hinges at the top to provide shade and (later) a bit of rain protection. Use a little section of lightweight chain, some s-hooks and eye-screws to raise and lower the shutter panels where you want.

RE: the 3" ventilation holes you are adding--forget putting in those louvered pucks, they'll only block airflow--ask me how I know. Better to just cover the holes with a piece of hardware cloth.

Feelin' your pain, here in the Hill Country :(

Back
Top Bottom