Please critique my bantam barred rock (NEW PICS)

big_smile.png

I'd really love to see a closer pic too, to see what the comb looks like. I got some birds earlier this year, funny cause we went for Bantam Barred Rocks - they were actually Barred OEGB's, but cute still! I just bought some eggs from Mr. Horstman, and he says he will have the Bantam Barred Rock eggs all year!! I'm getting them next!

oh, OT but to totally gross you out.....(Tubby, Phyllis, Target, and the Moderns)
big_smile.png

P1040691.jpg

Nice bird. I don't know about show birds, but your baby looks healthy and happy. I have a standard barred rock and ...well, she rocks!

Oh my goodness I can't resist temptation......The Pro needs to realize THAT chicken in not on HIS table. A more appropriate comment to voice a concern/disgust might have been, "Aren't you afraid of getting germs on your lovely dining room table or getting sick from having your pet on it?"

All real professionals, and ordinary people with a good dose of common sense, know that a reasonable exposure to germs is good to build up the body's immunity. It is a well known fact that sickness visits those without germs more frequently and seriously than those who freely inhale them, touch them, stand on them, look at them or play with them. If you deprive yourself of germs, you deprive yourself of health. Can't say as I've ever heard of anyone getting sick or dying from slurping after their pets. Haven't thought about doing that, but wouldn't be afraid to lick my gals from beak to bum to prove that point.

Oh, how about going into the chicken coop/run barefoot, too? Just don't let the poo squish between your toes - ick! I wonder if the Pro knows all there is to know about the food that he puts on his table and then into his mouth? How about the 3 second rule? Or the 30 second rule? All my chicks grew up in my dining room until they were big enough to make it outside on their own. Nobody got sick, not even the wee grandbabies who played with the chicks there. Any time a hen gets sick, my kitchen floor is the hospital until they are well enough to go back out with their friends. Lord,y I laugh to remember that nobody died the day the cat decided to shock us all and jump on the kitchen counter.....except for mother who acted like she was having a heart attack at the mere thought....and even SHE didn't die or get sick. lol Gosh, now that I think about it, my son might not have grown up to be a handsome, strapping, fun-loving law enforcement officer because he could have died the day he ate an earthworm after asking God to bless it when he was four years old. Oh my.

Nope, thank goodness we just don't live in a sanitary world. Big difference between clean and sanitary...that is reality.

Keep the photos coming. Your bird looks clean to me!

Quote:
I can answer that one --

They take up less space and they eat less feed, but they still produce eggs. And I believe that their eggs are larger, in proportion to their body weight, than the standard versions.

Personally, though, I just like having em around.
smile.png

Yes, in general the cost to raise a bantam/miniature considering the lb/volume of eggs/meat/milk/etc. is usually significantly less than the cost per lb/volume for the corresponding large breed.

I love your girl and to have a sweet temperment is icing on the cake!

My OE barred pullet looks just like yours! I saw the parents and raised the eggs so I know they are OE but my young hen is a lot heavier than I thought a OE would be so I have this very small doubt inmy mind and when I saw your photos I am now really wondering!

16448_oebar102209.jpg

16448_oebarred102809b.jpg

T

Back
Top Bottom