Please Critique the Plans for My First Coop -- Specific Questions Added

This provides a lot of shade and open ventilation. Flaps can be opened on the West side for air flow. You would be amazed how easy and cheap it is to build a simple three sided walk-in. You could even use wood pallets for the floor.

You have a great-looking arrangement and I absolutely love it. If we were on acreage in the country I'd do something like that -- especially if I had an existing outbuilding to work with. I liked the concept of the "Fresh Air Coops" that I saw on other threads but there seems to be a minimum size that is absolutely out of range for a 4-hen coop.

But I'm in town with restricted space and have significant cost restrictions. I can buy 1 roll of 3-foot hardware cloth, two sheets of plywood, and a minimal number of 2x4's plus use the odd bits of hardware cloth and plywood left from a kitchen remodel and a garden project.

Per the cost restrictions, I'm not sure how populated the area is where you live but you might have luck calling a fence company and see if you can have access to the tear down of a new fence that's going up. In these parts, most of the privacy fences are cedar panels with either cedar of pressure treated 2X4's. There's often enough life left in the old stuff for a coop/run, and you can't beat the price. Plus, it's less material that the fence installer needs to dump. Just an idea...good luck with the build.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm redrawing the plans to incorporate various suggestions and will post the revision once my daughter revises them. Very convenient having an architecture student in the family.
smile.png

In the east side drawing, depth of coop should be 4'-0'' instead of 4" + 3'-8" + 4" to maximize your material usage.

Need a dimension for the height of the wood on the south and north views.
When you place dimensions, pretend you are cutting those pieces.

Sorry, I am a design drafter by trade for 20 years, so a little constructive critique for the student. ;-) What cad program is she using?

Last edited:
In the east side drawing, depth of coop should be 4'-0'' instead of 4" + 3'-8" + 4" to maximize your material usage.

Need a dimension for the height of the wood on the south and north views.
When you place dimensions, pretend you are cutting those pieces.

Sorry, I am a design drafter by trade for 20 years, so a little constructive critique for the student. ;-) What cad program is she using?

Thank you.

She's using Autodesk on her home computer.

I gave her rough drawings and she prettied them up for me so any errors in measurements are probably mine.

Back
Top Bottom