Please give me ideas about rooster management

Hellebore

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Kirkland WA
I have a 3-month old Barred Cochin Bantam rooster who sleeps in the garage with 2 other roosters who he is growing up with. He is the head rooster. We adore him. The roosters get along fine so far. We have 6 hens of assorted sizes of the same age, who are in a little coop/run outside waiting to grow up and be integrated, along with the roosters, with the seven 2-year old standard size hens. The problem is this: When I put the roosters back in with the pullets in the morning, the Barred Cochin chases them around to the point that they are smashing into the wire. He only does this for a couple of minutes and then he calms down completely for the day. I am wondering if I should rehome him or if this will not be a problem anymore once they are integrated as 1 big flock with a large outside area to run around in during the day. Any insight from anyone with more experience than me? I want to keep him, but I don't want the pullets to be hurt. He is just chasing them; they could potentially get hurt while trying to get away. He isa very good little rooster and comes to us and likes to be held and watches out for the pullets and clucks with treats for them etc. I think he has potential. Thanks!!

Hellebore, I too was hoping to be able to keep a rooster in the city limits in the Seattle area, but didn't think it would be possible due to the noise. Does it really keep the noise level down enough to keep the peace in the neighborhood?

I have some rare Penedesencas and would love to be able to breed them and sell hatching eggs, so I finding a way to keep the noise down is crucial.

I can certainly see your point. We actually live in unincorporated King County and there are horses and other chickens in our neighborhood, and also a rooster down the street that no one complains about. So we are in a more rural area, but definitely not out in the country. I just don't want to have to put the neighbors in the position of having to ask us to curb the noise. The smallest rooster actually paces in the front of the run in the evening waiting to be taken to his cage rather than going in with the pullets, so they definitely don't mind the arrangement. They can crow all they want in the garage and it really does muffle the sound enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom