PLEASE - Guinea keets dying - possible Marek's disease?????

armsli

Hatching
8 Years
May 3, 2011
We have two week old keets, our first ever (we have chickens and ducks). There are fifteen. For the first two weeks they were doing well. Two days ago, one started not being able to lift its neck and hold it at an awkward angle, almost bent all the way back. Within hours it was dead. Now today, two more came down with the same symptoms; necWk bent almost backward, not being able to walk, labored breathing, and eventual death.

From what I have read today online, the symptoms seem consistent with Marek's disease (I have not heard of this before today). I have tried to contact the hatchery to determine if they were vaccinated, as I cannot glean this information from their website. So far, the others are showing no signs, but it starts quickly. Needless to say, watching them suffer is upsetting, especially to my children. My initial questions:

If they have not been vaccinated, will vaccinating them now offer enough protection? I'm not even sure where to get the vaccine, but I will check around. We have not had them exposed to our chicken or ducks, but can they spread via the children? Is there anything I can do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
lisa

Last edited:
I don't have any experience in this, but I am sorry
sad.png

I hope someone else can help provide answers.

Have you checked into a disease called Wry neck yet? I haven't looked into it too much but I believe it was talking about issues with the way they hold their necks. Sadly I don't think a vaccine would work that late in the game but I truly hope you will be able to find the answer. Have you looked around for an avian vet near you? That may help a bit. Keep the bodies in a steril ziplock back in your fridge so that he can do a necropsy.
hugs.gif

Thank you ladies. In doing more research, it sounds like it may be encephalomyelitis. I am slowly losing them one at a time and it is so upsetting. My ten year old sensitive animal lover has been crying off and on as the next one starts with symptoms. I am calling the hatchery again in the morning.

Can you tell me about necropsy? Not sure what that is.

Thank you,
Lisa

A necropsy is what they do on an animal to determine the cause of death. In CA you can send them to UC Davis and they will do them for free.

I don't think your birds have Marek's. They are really too young. It is usually closer to 16 weeks that you will see the disease strike. They usually don't vaccinate unless you ask for it. You can vaccinate them yourself, but may have to order it online.

Here is a good article about Mareks and the vaccine. But I doubt that is what your birds have.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/17/37/

I would look up wry neck. This could be something as simple as needing more vitamins.

I hope you find the answer. I am sorry you are losing the babies.

The symptoms sound kind of like botulism. I would toss the feed, and make sure they are not getting into anything spoiled. And put a bit of molasses in the water.

I know this is a very old tread but my two weeks old keets are having the exact same symptoms. did you ever find out what it was?

I know this is a very old tread but my two weeks old keets are having the exact same symptoms. did you ever find out what it was?
Hi, yes this an old thread. You are better off discussing it here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock/0_50

It would be unlikely that your keets were dying from Marek's at 2 weeks old. Take a good look at your feed or anything else they may come in contact with that's toxic. Also give them a wet mash from the chick feed. Sometimes the crumbles are too big for little birds.

Back
Top Bottom