Please Help!! 😥 BEI Duckling not eating and losing weight

OliveGreen

Chirping
Jun 2, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hello lovely duck people,
I could really do with some help and advice!!

On Tuesday my broody duck Hazel hatched out a single tiny baby Black East Indie duckling from some fertile eggs I gave her. (The only one to successfully hatch out of 5 developing eggs). Baby was actually born 4 days earlier than I was expecting so I really wasn’t prepared and didn’t have a separate baby-safe pen already set up for them away from my other 8 ducks. She had made her nest in a pet carrier in the duck’s night time aviary and I thought I’d let her stay there for the 28 days and simply move the whole carrier to a new location once the babies were born, but when I tried moving her on Tuesday to our 2nd bathroom (as a temporary solution) she became
7851AF59-C828-41BA-BE99-A6D0E08D8D73.jpeg
frantic and flew straight into a window twice trying to get back outside 😣 ouch!! So out went that idea! Luckily she didn’t seem to be injured, so I reluctantly moved her carrier back to the secure 3x3m aviary where she was before and she settled back down with baby. All seemed well.

Since then I have been closing the door of the carrier in the evenings to keep baby safe while the other ducks sleep in the aviary at night and letting Hazel and baby roam around the aviary during the day while the flock is out in the garden. (Not ideal as baby hasn’t had access to food and water overnight other than what I offer them from a cup when I go in to check on them). I set up a large shallow plant saucer with water and unmedicated chick mash mixed in it for baby to eat/drink during the day, and have also been letting them out of the aviary together a few times each day to forage on the lawn under my ‘helicopter’ supervision.

While Hazel was a totally dedicated sitter, she doesn’t seem to quite have the best handle on motherhood and most of the time when I let her out with baby she simply takes off around our 1/2 acre yard leaving baby stranded and vulnerable in the middle of the lawn, so I‘ve been following her around on her jaunts with the baby cupped in my hands, setting baby down beside her when safe. Several times a day Hazel gets really frantic pacing up and down in the aviary trampling or ignoring baby until I let her out, so the last few days I’ve often just taken baby inside with me to try and encourage her to eat and to keep her warm in mum’s absence.

Baby has been drinking water from day 1 when offered it from the cup and the plant saucer, and was dabbling in the food but didn’t seem to actually be eating anything. I started to getting concerned on Thursday when she still wasn’t eating after 48hrs so I brought her inside to try to encourage her with various foods in water - chick mash, crushed duck pellets, some finely mashed egg white, and tiny 1mm pieces of dandelion greens. She tried to eat a few of these things but she really is sooo tiny that she had trouble swallowing the pieces even when I ground them smaller with a mortar and pestle, and she seemed to be getting indigestion from the fragments of egg white. The only thing she is really keen to eat is the grass seed on the lawn, but I don’t think she’s actually managed to swallow much of that either. On Friday I thought I’d better start monitoring her weight to see how much she’s actually getting and she was only 27grams. I’ve been progressively getting more worried about the lack of eating, until last night (Saturday) when I had a brainwave and offered her some mashed egg yolk in plenty of water with some probiotic added to make a thin ‘soup’ and she LOVED it! Lots of happy sounds, and she drank quite a bit. I thought I’d solved the problem and at least got some good nutrition into her and started things on a better trajectory, but I was so disheartened today when I came home at lunchtime to find baby standing shivering in the middle of the aviary floor and mum perched calmly up on top of the nesting boxes. I took baby inside immediately to warm her up and spent an hour trying to give her some food and water, but she would only take a few sips of the egg yolk probiotic mixture when I gently dipped her bill in it and wouldn’t even sip at the water I offered. I tried weighing her again, sure that last night’s feed might have made a positive impact but she’d actually lost weight and was only 24grams. 😥

Over the last few days I’ve actually noticed baby with long strands of straw from the nest sticking out of her bill on several occasions which I’ve pulled out, so I’m wondering if this could have given her an impacted crop? She did do three poops on my hand while I was trying to feed her today so at least I know she is pooping. It’s almost 12 years since I’ve raised any ducklings so I’m finding it hard to remember exactly what to expect, but I do remember my last batch (Khaki Campbell crosses) zooming around and eating with gusto from around day 2 or 3. This little one just seems so tiny and frail in comparison. 😟

I’m so worried, and am too-ing and fro-ing about just taking baby inside permanently away from mum but I have no idea what more I can do to help her eat anyway. I don’t have access to any poultry drench, but I’ve been giving her some avian vitamin powder in her water since Thursday, and just purchased some brewers yeast yesterday to see if that will help as well.

Should I take baby and put her in a brooder inside? Is there anything else I can try to feed her or do to help her eat? What can I do to help her if her crop is impacted? If anyone has any suggestions I’d really appreciate it!!
I’m really hoping this little one will pull through! :fl

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of Elizabeth ducks and they are so beautiful! I'm so sorry the little one didn't make it. :hugs
Thank you DuckyDonna ❤
That tiny baby was such a precious little thing. I just expected it would all go fairly smoothly like they did with my last ducklings many years ago, but this has definitely given me a lesson on being prepared with a plan B.

Elizabeths certainly are gorgeous! I’d been admiring them for years so I felt very lucky to find Hazel. 5 months later I found her a beautiful little prize winning drake, Herbie... Unfortunately she can’t stand the sight of him though and screams at the top of her lungs whenever she sees him, even just out of the corner of her eye. 🤦‍♀️ 🙄
He’s such a little gentleman too. Poor boy was a bit shocked by her reaction I think.:smack:confused:
He’s off in a seperate part of the garden now with a little Appleyard girl I bought to keep him company but I‘m still hoping Hazel will warm to him............ eventually!
It might be a long process because she’s decided she’s only got eyes for my 11 year old Campbell drake Walter. :idunno
Oh well, that’s ducky social dynamics for you - I swear it’s like a soap opera sometimes!
F966CBA7-D292-4B0E-8DF5-5EE139603EAC.jpeg 26D5BAF5-0599-4F88-91C3-BBE303601007.jpeg 0FB8F6CE-D2A0-4EDA-902E-8B999C3671B4.jpeg 37131850-3C85-4503-858E-917F1A516304.jpeg 2A7C2374-A69C-4BED-BA6B-305FC6AFCE5B.png 59782315-8EAB-481E-B30F-DC3D03ED8BAA.jpeg A1DC37DD-2A96-4DB0-87DD-0F2F10EC772C.jpeg 19B922A8-F9F2-408F-8EC6-050D2502C53B.jpeg D4FD74B0-D1D1-4D31-A0CB-DC66D7D0A94F.jpeg

Last edited:
My ducklings loved scrambled eggs you might try that mixed like you did the egg yolk. I would def bring her inside for good. keep her warm and give her a mirror and a stuffed animal to cuddle with. I put a tiny cup of chick grit in the brooder so they could use it when they needed it, that's important when feeding them anything other than their crumble. I sure hope this little one makes it. Does the tummy look distended or the crop feel hard? vent isn't blocked up dried poo?

Last edited:
A brooder only has to be as complicated as you want, You want a heat source in one area so it can enter and leave heat as it wants

For a week old it should be lined with towels, and for a single duckling a stuffed animal is great for them to cuddle with, they like it alot

use any cheap thermometer and try to get 85-90 degrees near the heatsource

Just be mindfull that heatlights and lightbulbs can be a fire hazard

Best of luck! Were all hoping for you!
if you decide to get her indoors itll be aloy easier to monitor her. They need warmth for there body to function and thrive

Cardboard-Box-Brooder-Chicks.jpg
f087b21e0bdebafb7c5ed0e61f531c76.jpg
7-1.png

I've lost a few because I didn't take them away. Some mama ducks especially newbies really don't have a clue once ducklings hatch. This past summer I had to take 4 away from mamas thankfully they all made it. We learn from our mistakes and they can be heart breaking. :hugs
Yes this was Hazel’s first hatch, and when I think about it she was kind of acting the same as when she was brooding the eggs... Making a dash from the nest several times a day to furiously eat, bathe, and fossick but totally oblivious to the baby being left behind.

I’m not sure whether to let her try hatching again now - might just stick with the incubator! But if I do, I’ll be set up and ready to take baby away at the first sign of trouble.

My only other experience of mum raising babies was almost 12 years ago with my hand-reared (imprinted) Campbell girl. She was a wonderful mum and I still have her and 3 of her 4 babies.

I wet feed to soupy mess. with my tiny Calls I use my coffee grinder to make the feed into a powder that I mix with warm water.
This is exactly why I should have asked for help earlier! I ended up using a mortar and pestle to crush up the crumble into smaller pieces, but even then she was still struggling to actually swallow much. I would like to try and raise some BEI again one day so I’ll have to be better prepared for what to expect next time.

You keep yours along time too so do I I have a Muscovy female that will be 13 in March. When one of my Muscovy had her first hatch she killed one duckling and was on her way to doing the second one in but thankfully I came in and found the little one with bite marks on its head. So I brought it in and raised him inside, the next year she was the first to go broody but I was ready to take the ducklings soon as they hatched she turned out to be an awesome mama no problems at all. So you just never know with these girls.

How are the belgian chicks doing? Did they hatch under a broody?
The Belgian chicks are going gangbusters. This was my second hatch of 3 chicks using an incubator. My first incubation and my first chickens! I’ve always been a duck person (still am), but their floofy feet and bushy beards got me sucked in. Funny little things!
The first batch are now three months old and living it up outside. The little cockerel from this batch unfortunately has scissor beak though. He’s been managing fine up until now, but I’m not sure how he’ll fare in the long run. It seems to be getting worse the older he gets.

Back
Top Bottom