Please help! Adding new hens

quiltinmom

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Okay...so long story....Yesterday my neighbor's dog killed 2/3 of my flock. Very sad. He was very nice about it, helped clean up and got me new hens. I'm worried now that getting new hens is going to do more harm than good. He got 10 hens from 2 different sources. I don't have a place to quarantine. I don't know what to do. How risky is it not to quarantine? They are all layers, so all grown and about the same size. So I have 4 original, then I think 6 from one place and 4 from another. We already stuck them in the coop, just tonight after it was dark. I don't know what to do. (As far as quarantine...is the damage already done?) And please be nice to me...I'm still sad about the whole thing. I'm fairly new to chicken raising. I'm worried.

Last edited:
I can't believe they are all getting along! I'm always worried about them fighting. We added three new chicks to our flock of four in July. It was a slow process. Maybe it's different when you introduce babies to adults. Don't ever make the mistake of putting them together because the adults will peck the babies to death if they get half a chance. We had to ease into introductions and things went well I've heard some horror stories. I hope someone can give you some real advice instead of my blathering and commiserating. Good luck to you!

Sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
As far as the new ones, I would keep an eagle eye on them for any symptoms. Did they look well fed, clean and healthy ei active, clear eyes, runny noses ect. Seeing the conditions they were kept in and how well they were cared for would influence me weather or not I quarantine. Since you did not see where they came from you have to look closely at the condition of the bird. Since they are in the coop already its to late to do anything now. Just be super observant and treat anything that happens asap. If it does this forum has a lot of experts that can help you out. Thats what we're here for. Best of luck with your new flock.
D.gif

Last edited:
If you are unable to quarantine then I would run Sulmet in the water for 4 days with the entire flock.

Also, before placing the new hens in you need to spray or dust each one for mites/lice. I would also worm the new ones with Ivermectin if it were me.

Quote:
How long would I have to throw out the eggs if I did those two things? Both say they are not for egg laying birds.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom