Please Help ASAP - Duck with maggots

lolchely

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2021
Last night I checked on my duck and she was crying and had a smell to her. I gave her a hug and let her go to sleep when I went to check on her in the morning she was covered in maggots. Hundreds of them. I panicked and my family and I quickly gave her a soap bath and we took off as many as we could. She was attacked by a raccoon months ago and she healed amazingly. I think her wound opened up and that were they infested her. But as we washed her maggots were on her skin everywhere. Even on her perfectly good tissue. Which made me question everything. She has them even were this not a wound. We’re seeing what we could do but my fear is if they are inside of her. She recently lost her brother and I was selfish to keep him alive as long as I could but he was suffering everyday. I don’t want this to be the case with her. I don’t want her to suffer. What should I do ??? Her blood where most of them was a very dark color and even after the soap bath she still smells like a dead animal. I attached a picture of where most of them were.

Attachments

• B3DB5C71-E8C0-4232-8D3C-E0273ED74D1E.jpeg
    B3DB5C71-E8C0-4232-8D3C-E0273ED74D1E.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 92
Don’t despair! Birds have truly amazing ability to heal even massive horrible wounds. Just keep the tissue clean and dry. My best wound treatments are chlorhexadine to clean it, and Aluspray to protect the skin. I had a chicken go broody on a clutch of rotten eggs and by the time I found her in the pasture her backend was literally rotting off. I used a garden hose to spray off the maggots and rotting tissue, chlorhex rinse to cleanse, and Aluspray to keep the flies off and keep her getting picked. In 4 months she was perfectly healed! Aluspray is by prescription from your vet but it really is the best. It’s dual action drying and antibacterial.

Don’t despair! Birds have truly amazing ability to heal even massive horrible wounds. Just keep the tissue clean and dry. My best wound treatments are chlorhexadine to clean it, and Aluspray to protect the skin. I had a chicken go broody on a clutch of rotten eggs and by the time I found her in the pasture her backend was literally rotting off. I used a garden hose to spray off the maggots and rotting tissue, chlorhex rinse to cleanse, and Aluspray to keep the flies off and keep her getting picked. In 4 months she was perfectly healed! Aluspray is by prescription from your vet but it really is the best. It’s dual action drying and antibacterial.
She has foamy eyes which her brother had when he was sick. She no longer wants to eat. This girl could a eat a big bowl of food by her self. She only takes two bites then is no longer interested. Not even her favorite treats like bananas and strawberries. We tried to pluck any we could see today. We had no luck since her feathers are so thick. But we did exam that she has other parts of rotten tissue where the raccoon didn’t touch her. She only wants to go in her temporary house and sit there. Her breathing is starting to get heavy with her mouth open. Why is tissue look so unhealthy?? Is it normal? Update - we shaved her a little bit and no maggots were found. Still same behavior and now yellow around her eyes due to the foamyness.

Attachments

• 55DC18DE-4E11-44B8-8F25-763AEBDC11C9.jpeg
    55DC18DE-4E11-44B8-8F25-763AEBDC11C9.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 57
  • F0570ED5-590F-4299-8A25-404A3A636E1D.jpeg
    F0570ED5-590F-4299-8A25-404A3A636E1D.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 57
Does she try and wash her face. They need to be able to clean their eyes and nares.
Any chance of a vet?
Have you examined her vent to make sure there a no maggots crawling in or out?

@lolchely what ever ended up happening to your duck? Is she Okay?
She healed fantastic! Figured out they were just eating away her dead skin. She is healthier than ever. Before this she was a very shy duck. The raccoon attack frighten her. But now she is so sassy and running around everywhere. We built her a new house that is fly prevented. Changing her water bowl everyday. Her limp in her leg is gone. She is a miracle duck for sure! A true fighter! Thank you all for the help!

She healed fantastic! Figured out they were just eating away her dead skin. She is healthier than ever. Before this she was a very shy duck. The raccoon attack frighten her. But now she is so sassy and running around everywhere. We built her a new house that is fly prevented. Changing her water bowl everyday. Her limp in her leg is gone. She is a miracle duck for sure! A true fighter! Thank you all for the help!

Hooray‼️

Back
Top Bottom