PLEASE help ASAP

kat2011

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Hi everyone! I just joined because I need help asap. A couple of months ago, a rooster wandered up to my house...alone. I found out that the people who owned him moved, and took all the chickens except him. He is a beautiful Rhode Island Red, from what I learned on google. I named him Bach, and he just attached himself to me like a dog.....follows me everywhere, and is very friendly. I have become quite fond of him...but I know nothing about chickens. It is getting cooler now, and I don't want him to be cold. We have an old freezer on the back porch (not in use)....and he roosts up there every night. I put some blankets on top of it to make it soft for him to sleep on, but now he won't sleep anywhere else. This is the problem. For winter, I don't want him to be exposed to the cold, and so I took a large animal carrier, and put bedding in it etc, but he won't go in it. He only wants to be on top of the upright freezer....and the carrier is too big to fit up there. If I try to put a box up there, he won't go up there....he just stands by the sliding glass door like he doesn't know what to do. I can't bring him inside....so what do I do? BTW....the blankets I put up there for him ....he poos all over them....I really love him and want him to have a proper warm & comfortable place to roost....please help. Like I said, I have never had chickens, and don't know what kind of shelter he needs.

Welcome to the forum and to taking this beautiful guy in! I am thinking you might have to physically put him in the carrier every nite, after awhile he will learn that is where to sleep- he must be lonely too....

2 things
don't worry about the cold, he doesn't.
worry about predators because at night he's vulnerable.
He needs a predator proof building(doesn't have to be fancy, just strong)

When he goes to bed on the freezer pick him up and put him in his new digs and keep him in there for a few days till he imprints on where to sleep.

Get him some girlfriends

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. I think he is lonely too, and that's why he attached to me. I think I might get him a couple of hens, since he seems to be staying LOL. I feel so sorry for him....I noticed he stands in front of the sliding glass door staring at himself, and maybe he thinks it's another chicken. I get so angry to think those people just left him to fend for himself. As I said I have never had a chicken, and just thought they were not very smart....but Bach taught me different. He waits by the door for me, and when I come out he starts cooing and rubbing against my leg just like a dog would. Don't laugh, but I think he loves me haha! When I go out I say "Ohhhh there's my beautiful boy! Let me see those pretty wings!"....and he starts flapping them and prancing around! Here's a link to a video on youtube I posted of him doing it when I ask him too
lol.png
He is much healthier and prettier now...he looked kind of rough in this video because I guess he had been going hungry. Once again...thank you for the response!

Hi Chicken Canoe! Yes, I think I will get him some girls now that he's staying. Should I one or does he need more than one?

Quote:
Agree, and don't give him blankets to lay on you can pick up some PINE bedding at pet or feed stores for around $5, I have an old dog house for my Roo that I put a door on, you can find them (usually for free) if you ask around your neighbourhood, once you have put him it there for a while he will automatically go in at dusk and you can shut the door. Good luck and thanks for giving the guy a home.

frow.gif
Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us.
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

aww sooo sweet of you to take him in..
thats sad that they took all but him.. i wonder why??
alright so you need a house for him.. draft free.. nothing fancy (you can fancy it later.)
alot of bycers have used recycled pallets to build there coops..
some chickens are quite cold hardy (RIRS are in that group)
i have a 10 and we live in idaho with load of snow right now.. and they are fine no heat..

here are some ideas that you can throw together
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=584885
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=578099&p=1
now i think alot of these are just fine and easy to throw together with recycled material
smile.png

also feed, fresh water, and love is all he really needs
some day you might want to add to it give him some ladys to make him HAPPY
wink.png

good luck with your new found friend
big_smile.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

I'd get rid of the blanket. It's gonna get nasty.

I'd get him at least 2 girls so he doesn't bother just one too much. They can really break off the back feathers and claw them up and one just doesn't stand a chance sometimes.

more than one and watch out when you do, he might get mean. I took in a rir rooster from the dog pound. He was just like yours till after quarantine was over. Once he got with some hens he became the best gruad dog ever. No one was allowed in the pen! Hopefully yours will not do this. Good luck

Welcome to BYC. I recommend that you NOT get him just a couple of hens. He'll continually chase and mount (tread) them and they'll possibly get injured due to overmating. It's normally recommended 10 hens per 1 rooster. So, you'll need at least 10 hens to keep him company or he can be your only pet chicken. BTW, I watched your video, he's a good looking roo!

Back
Top Bottom