Please Help! Babies Coming tomorrow and I can't get to the feed store

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Mar 2, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I live in Western North Carolina and the roads here have been bad - many businesses closed. I have 30 Silky chicks coming tomorrow and nothing to feed them. Is there anything they can eat for 24 hours before I can get to the store? [​IMG]

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Scrambled eggs?

3. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    That's bad! Call a helicopter!!

4. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    oooh I thought that I was going to be in trouble with feed when my chicks were ready to hatch the the other day cause i was getting ready to filll up the feeders and realized that there wasn't any left but luckily my uncle was able to save the day. Maybe you could feed them yogurt and scrambled eggs for a while?

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I would think they would be fine on scrambled eggs and oatmeal. Maybe not together! [​IMG] Just make sure the eggs are chopped up well and make the oatmeal a little on the thick side, so they dont get all gooey walking in it. I raised lots of ducks this way, I am sure it would keep them just fine untill you could get something else. You can also give them bread soaked in milk I think.

6. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I'm in the same storm you're in. Although it's completely beautiful, I've heard a lot of complaints about the roads. My neighbor has family coming over from Cape Cod that she's been worrying about...

Unless you live way up on one of the mountains (which you may), I think the roads will be cleared by tomorrow. I myself live about halfway up Utah mountain, and the roads here are cleared; the sun has been melting it all day today, even though it's only been around 26. I sincerely hope that that's going to be the case with you, although if it isn't boiled eggs or yogurt will do just fine. Good luck!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Do you already have chickens? Just wet down some layer feed if you do. It won't harm them to eat it for a few days. You could still add some cooked egg to up the protein. Otherwise the egg and oatmeal is probably the best idea.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have used corn meal before, or was this a retorical question? If so I bit!

9. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    [​IMG] I have used corn meal and birdfeed before,you
    could try smashed canned peas or dice some canned corn, lettuce,cabbage,and would try stewed tomatoes cooked beans . wow that sounds like a yummy pot roast.

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    you could also wet cormmeal. ive done this before it was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by