Please help! Baby chick has white runny diarrhea

What type of feed are your chicks on,is it chick starter? If giving your chicks anything other than chick starter,they need grit to aid in digestion. Based on your description sounds like your chick had some type of blockage and was not able to poop.

I fed her what the chicken farmer gave me. They said that it would be fine for them. I think it's quite crushed up for them. I don't feed them anything else. When she was sick, I gave them all a tiny bit of egg, that was all. I do think maybe they eat their bedding sometimes though and maybe that's what caused the blockage...? Not sure though. I thought she had a blockage from the start but I am no expert and when we took her to the vet the first time, they didn't suggest that. They just gave us some medicine. I don't know but I have been saying many "what if's" since in happened. If the vet hadn't of squeezed her on that day, she would of died anyway. We tried the oil and everything but nothing seemed to work. It was so unbelievably sad though. We were up all through the night every night with her for about a week. I really thought she was going to make it, so when she passed away, it was a big shock.
I have another one now that I fear has picked up cocci. I feel like such a bad chicky mumma. ;( Worst weekend ever as everything is closed (Easter.) I think I've managed to talk the vet into coming in today and giving me some medicine for it though (phew!). Saying a little chicky prayer this weekend that's for sure! I couldn't handle losing another one.

Hi I don't know if you've already narrowed it down, but could the wood chips their laying on be cedar? I read on another page to absolutely never use because its toxic to chickens. I hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom