Please Help...baby chick looks like it is stuck trying to hatch...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenni22776rn, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Ok...the last of three eggs to hatch starting with a small pip last night...I just got home and noticed the eg was still not progressing and there was still the small hole..I was able to break away some of the shell not attached to anything..then I placed her back under the mom...but he has been trying to hatch for almost 12 hours now...the other 2 chicks hatched within a few hours..this one is taking the longest...I read how to assist and tied to assist..but when I tried to remove a little more shell..I noticed a part started to bleed...I again put it right under the mom...WHAT do I need to do?? How long should I let it hatch in its own before helping more? Is the bleeding normal? It is not bleeding alot...I hate the thought it it dying almost hatching out...PLEASE HELP!!

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    If you tried removing some shell and you drew blood just let it be. Nature will take care of it. It sounds like the humidity in your area may be very low causing the egg membrane to dry and shrink. I assisted one under a broody hen but it was already 90% hatched. You seem to be in a tough spot. Best I can say is let it be. Maybe someone else here may be more experienced. Best of luck to you.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If the vessels are still bleeding, then the chick is not quite ready to hatch.

4. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] The membrane will bleed and so will the opening where the chick is attached to the yolk. I have had chicks take as long as 3 days to finish hatching. Mom will help it hatch or put it out of it's misery. If you can't stand by and watch it die(I can't either) then try pulling a little of the shell off and then let it be. Check on it from time to time and be prepared to lose it even if you do help it out of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by