Please help :-( bloody poop

MG2019

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2019
My baby chicks are 3 weeks old and I just went to the brooder and saw a bloody poop .

I looked it up and I’m scared it’s cococcidosis. The feed store is closed now so I can’t get any medication until tomorrow.

I’m freaking out I’m so worried I don’t want them all to die. This is my first time raising chicks. I don’t know how much time I have until it starts taking them down.

Can anyone tell me what I should do in the time being. Is there hope? I’m so sad

Make sure they stay hydrated.
I would be waiting for them to unlock the door as soon as the farm store opens up.
When you get the amprolium (Corid), I would get the liquid form (9.6% solution) and drench the chicks. Put one drop of undiluted Corid on the tip of the beak so it wicks into the beak and the chick drinks it. Repeat until you get 5 drops in each chick.
Then mix up Corid water at a rate of 2 tsp to 1 gallon of water and make this their sole source of drinking water. You can store this solution in the refrigerator. I would also make them a mash with it and their chick starter.
Continue drenching them for 3-5 days.
Keep them on the Corid water for 5-7 days.
Give them fresh Corid water daily.
After the initial dose, make up another batch of Corid water at 1 tsp per gallon of water and continue for another week.
Do no supplement with anything that contains thiamine during the Corid treatment as that will weaken the effect of the drug.

Oh... and welcome to BYC. Sorry you joined under these circumstances.

@dawg53 Remind me again what you would use here, until you could get the Corid, please.

I think he is going to say buttermilk.
I always forget if it's buttermilk or cottage cheese.

This will NOT fix the problem but it MAY help until you get the Corid.

Back
Top Bottom