Please Help Brooding Hen Killed Last Night Have 10 Eggs 1 Week from Hatching

I wish I could trust my cats around my birds, its awesome that your cats defend their buddies like that. I love the names too.my Sebrights all have Norse God names. Our golds are Loki, Baldor, Frigga and Sigyn.our silvers are Sif and Odin. We have a Thor too but he's a duck. My not so bird friendly cats are Lilith, Astarte and Kali ma. I am am sorry for the loss of your birdies, I lost all my Brahmas to a determined raccoon last year. Luckily at our new place we've only had a possum and it only got eggs. It was a baby who got in and could not get out.

Thank you, I contacted wildlife and fishery yesterday about possible large predators in my area, and they said the bobcat was the largest of the wild predators in the area. That makes me feel better since Miracle is the main guard of the birds, but here in the next month I will be finishing fencing in the entire property so the dogs can be let to run the property. After that I don't feel there will be anymore predator issues, there sure isn't any predator other than man around here that would risk dealing with three very large pitbulls and a wolf hybrid over some chickens, there's plenty of prey animals that would be a lot less dangerous.

I candled eggs this evening only to find it looked like all the eggs shrink wrapped inside the eggs
hit.gif
not one of them made it. I pipped them and smelled an odor so I continued, only to find what I saw in candling correct. Everyone was fully developed and the yolks were absorbed but the chicks had dried out. I hate that it happened, I checked my humidity thingy and found it is off. When I took it outside it was like ten percent off what my outdoor one says. I looked diagnosing at it definitely lookes like too dry in incubator, some might of had bacteria though since the egg that was destroyed when Henny Penny was took got on them because ones naval hadn't closed. This sucks, if not for that frickin bobcat I'd have around twelve beautiful little babies today. I'll try again with Big Mama's eggs after I get a new incubator with a better thermostat and humidity thingy. This just sucks
hit.gif

anyone tell me plz if my incubator temperature is 99F to 99.9F then which one humidity level should i set?? 50to55% or 55to60% or 60to65%???

Wow, that was an amazing story. I was pretty wrapped up in finding the predator and hoping the cats were okay. I'm sorry for all your losses. It sounds like you're very close to all your animals. If you do incubate again and you ever need any help with it just shoot me a pm and we'll get you some beautiful babies to hatch!

Thanks everybody, and yes I am very close to all of them, I haven't been on in a while because Frigga and Freya went in to be spayed and we have had a few complications. Frigga busted her internal stainless steel stitches and had to go back under for hernia surgery, she ended up with twenty external staples and in a lot of pain, she goes back in two weeks to have them removed. And poor Freya happens to be allergic to the tattoo ink they use to mark the area and it caused her to have an allergic reaction, but thank god her body rejected the ink out of her skin so after a lot of iodine and some liquid skin she is back on track. As far as hatching more eggs, I will be attempting it again after my new incubator arrives to the feed store. They told me to be careful of ones you order over the internet because it might not be handled as gently as needed in shipping and can cause miscalibrations, so I went ahead and bought one there it should be there in a week or so. If I have any questions, and I'm sure I will, I will definitely be taking you up on that, thank you. It was my very first hatching and boy you can get some conflicting info at times. I certainly appreciate the support and info I find on this site. Everybody else is doing great, Dude's knee is still a little hinky in the mornings, but the doc said it is healed. The pullets are almost as big as Big Mama and they are only nine weeks old. Blondie has had no other incidents of seizure, which is what my niece's pawpaw told me it was. He said it was more than likely from the stress of the predator with a mix of the heat, it's been REAL bad lately. I bought them a giant watermelon and cut it up and froze it, I put out a dish with some in the afternoons and their run is completely shaded, I'm putting in misters this weekend. Right now I go out in the afternoon and mist the run with the hose, some of the pullets run out there and play dodge the spray, but Red runs right into it and gets his tail feathers soaked, he's hilarious.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom