Please help, chick experts!!!! She won't stop crying!

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
Our day-olds arrived today healthy and happy, no pasty butts, eating and drinking right away.

One RIR chick just WON'T stop crying. Everyone else is fine, but this one cries constantly, I have a knot in my back from the shrill peeping for the last 6 hours. It is eating and drinking and the brooder is warm enough (about 93), behaviour indicates proper temp. Other chicks are just fine. The only thing different about this chick is that it is hyper-aware of us and stands at the brooder wall and watches us; also she tries to eat every other chicks toes (really drags them across the brooder! Must think they are tasty worms...)

Help!!!!! I am going bonkers!!!

Here's a quick movie so youc an see the behaviour:
www.sailzora.com/loudchick.MPG

It is constant and LOUD!!! Please help!! Our last batch of chicks never did anything like this!

Well, it is quite apparent she needs her mommy. I would say you'll have to snuggle that one all day long to keep her quiet.
smile.png
Enjoy..you're momma hen now.

Jody

Thanks Jody! Unfortunately she is the only one of the chicks that DOESN'T like to be held! Go figure! Maybe I will try it anyway.... anything to get her to shut up!

But since she's a hatchery chick, why would she miss mommy? is this a normal thing and we just lucked out with our last batch?

Thanks!

Oh we have had those. They chirp all night long.

Let me translate:

Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp
Mama mama mama mama mama mama
mama?

mama mama mamaaaa

mammmmaaaa

mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama

Then repeat.

Cuddle her and see if she stops after a few minutes. I bet she will.....
smile.png

mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama

I was just kiddin'. She could have something going on with her, but no way for you to know. You could try some stuff to calm her and make her feel at home. Try tapping in the feed (like a mama hen would peck) and show her the feed. Also, If you put your hand in a U shape and rest you fingertips on the brooder floor (like a tunnel) over her..see if that helps her settle. It sometimes reminds them of a hen covering them with her wing and can help them lay down to rest. Hopefully everything is ok with her. The chirping sure is cute, but I can imagine that cuteness doesn't last long when you have to hear it all day long.

Jody

Unfortunately this isn't working! Now she's screeching even closer to my ear.

What would cause this? Has anyone ever had it happen? She sounds just miserable but everything seems to be fine! it's almost like when Olivia was baby with colic and screamed all the time......

I feel bad not only for us but for the other chicks. Since I have had her out of the brooder they've all finally been able to slep without her screaming and trampling them (oh, yeah, she also doesn't sleep like the others, ever!)

Oops, I posted before I saw your replies.... Yes, we have tried all those things, actually, showing her the food and trying to play mama hen and shelter her.othing works. She didn't calm after holding her for about 7 minutes, either, just struggling and crying, even when held in the most calming way and cooed to!

Sigh.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make fun, but the chick looks so strong and healthy! I have never even had a day old chick, so I haven't had this experience. You wouldn't happen to have a broody hen right now, would you, or a hen with baby chicks? Just thinking out loud here....and I guess it's too early to try a special treat like a little cricket or meal worms. What does she do when you hold her?

Back
Top Bottom