1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! Chick With Hurt Foot/Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coloradowildflower, Apr 19, 2011.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    We had my 6 week old Brahma out in the backyard and my three-year-old accidentally stepped on her foot. I didn't see any blood, the shape of the foot looks fine, but she won't put weight on it and is just lying under the light. She's not crying, but she makes a sad little trill once in a while.

What should I do? Should I try to splint or wrap the foot/leg? How do I tell if it's broken? Should I put her in a separate brooder to keep her still and warm?

I'm terrified this will kill her. She is SO sweet.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Feel the leg/foot, you would probably be able to tell if some of it was broken.

3. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks Tiramisu! I felt the leg and can feel no broken bones. She moves all toes and closes her "fist" alright. She didn't cry out when I was gently feeling the leg, toes, and hock, but she did squirm a bit when I touched the middle toe. It has very slight iridescent pink on the first "knuckle" - is that a chicken bruise?

She did stand and put some weight on it when I put her back down. Walked with just a slight limp for several steps, then went back to laying under the light.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Then it must just be a bit swollen/injured from being stepped on, but it should be fine in a few days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by