PLEASE HELP!! CHICKEN ATTACKED BY DOG

I'm so sorry : (

Where are you located and if a vet was found what is the distance you would travel?

I am fortunate to have one 45 minutes from me that deals with farm animals, but for emergencies I drive 2 hrs to a university vet that has it's own section that deals with birds and reptiles.

I would try to keep your girl in a normal position that a chicken would sit in and make sure her head is not lying down

Thank you all for the help. I think we lost her to internal bleeding and some sort of broken bones. We're going to bury her next to her sister and probably plant something over them. Thanks again for the help.

She passed.
I am so sorry for you loss :( I hope the owner keeps the dog locked up better

A pitbull has significant bite force and locking jaws. You bird probably has internal injuries and might not make it. I feel terrible for you and you lost birds... Do your best to keep the bird warm and hydrated with electrolytes. Most vets don't know much about chickens so I wouldn't waste your time unless you know they have livestock experience.
Pitbull's have less of a bite force than a German shepherds and Rottweiler's bite, and only 5 psi more then a lab, for reference a wolf is 400 psi. Also Pitbull's do not have lock jaw, they are no different anatomically then any other dog. They are just tenacious which they get from their bulldog and terrier ancestry. unfortunately any medium and up sized dog would have been able to do this kind of damage (maybe even small dogs like rat terriers). It is incredibly sad that this happened to OP's chickens, but Figured I would correct some misinformation about Pitbull's. unfortunately it is 100% the owner of the dogs fault that this happened they did wrong by not only OP and her chickens but also by their dog.

So terrible what I've just read....
I've seen a fox with its nose in one of my coups, I chased it off like a crazed person, I constantly worry now. So sorry about what happened to you and your girls.

My last hen is limping but she's still alive. The chicks are all fine.
Maybe you can take some comfort in the saying it takes a village to raise children… your darling hens gave their lives to save all the chicks from what they believed to be a horrible monster (the Pitt bull)…. Give your surviving girl lots of love and TLC….
im sorry you’ve had to go through this and maybe a call to the local pound and a report is in order so the owner of the Dog can be made aware…

Back
Top Bottom