Please help! Chicken probably have egg yolk peritonitis, and she doesn't eat and barely drink on her

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
My 1 year and seven months old bantam golden laced cochin have a swollen abdomen and I can feel hard things inside which are probably eggs. I noticed that her abdomen was swollen 3 weeks ago, but I didn't feel anything hard. The same thing happen several months ago( swollen, but not hard), and when I checked her abdomen 2 or 3 months later, it looks normal. She hasn't laid an egg for several months. I was planning on draining the fluid inside her abdomen today, but I noticed, that at least 75 percent of the swollen area feels hard. She might have a little bit of ascites, but I am not sure, if that is the reason why she is anorexic since yesterday. She probably have ascites several months ago, and her abdomen is about 20-25 percent less in area than her abdomen today, but she was acting normal on that time.

Should I try to drain her abdomen, and how should I do it? It is really important to tell me how to do it, since I might damage important organ(s) in her body.

I already gave her first does of 125 mg of amoxicillin 2 hours ago, and I am planning to give her 9 to 13 more doses. How many more should I give, to treat egg yolk peritonitis?

I know that hen can absorb egg yolk inside their body. Can hens absorb solid egg yolk inside their body?

Last edited:
Is there any egg coming out of her at all.?
or hard eggs stuck to her abdominal wall.
Is the fluid close to the surface of her belly?

HI!
I have been doing loads of research in this area, as I have an egg layer with Ascites. After de worming, a round of electrolytes and antibiotics, I finally gave in and belly tapped her. I got 420 cc of fluid from her the first time, and 200 a couple of days later. The last tap confirmed my diagnosis when I could clearly see and feel a fully calcified egg free floating in her abdomen. She has egg yolk peritonitis. This occurs when the egg does not float into the reproductive tract and ends up in the abdomen instead, I am going to a chicken seminar today and hope the vet there can look at her, but short of surgery I am sure that nothing else can be done. It is unfortunate too since she has started eating and pooping again since I drained off the fluid. Her combs and waddles are even pinking up and she is cooing at me when she sees me. Poor girl. It will break my heart to euthanize her but I am afraid I will have to.

FROM POST #10 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68731/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites

Luckybaby : Have you tapped her belly yet??

I have been reading the last www page I sent you and
mentioned is Milk Thistle and also Lasix which are diuretics.
Lasix from the vet and Milk Thistle herb also dandelion tea is a diuretic.

I sure hope things are progressing for you and your girl.
I am just so sorry for you having this awful problem with your girl.

I was planning to drain the fluid in her abdomen, but I don't think it is a good idea for me to proceed, since the area where I can feel fluid is 0.5 inches or less away from where her intestines should be. The needle that I have have a length of 1.25 or 1 inch. The middle area of her rear abdomen and on the middle of her abdomen feels hard. I can only feel the hardened eggs on that area, and I can't feel any signs that ascites is in there. Last week, I can only feel fluid on her abdomen. Does chickens with egg yolk peritonitis even sleep?

I never expected, that if a chicken have ascites, she can be laying internally. Her swollen belly became normal in size at least 3 months ago. So, there is really no hope for her, even if I gave her the recommend amount of amoxicillin?

When my girl had the peritonitis I wish I had given her baytril and steroids
The vet said giving prednisone was helpful and helped with the inflammation of
reproductive organs.

Back
Top Bottom