Please Help! Chickens Dissappearing Without A Trace

Don’t get too discouraged. I’ve dealt with foxes and raccoons for years. It’s always a constant battle.
The things to remember are raccoons, dogs, oppossums, hawks and usually owls there will be feathers and most times a dead bird. As I said foxes, bobcats and coyotes take the birds with them.
If your dad already has a camera that’s good, if not they’re good to have but if hes not wanting to spend too much, buying foothold traps or snares would be better since your gonna need to catch whatever it is and shoot it.
I also understand not everyone knows how to catch them. The time spent learning will be worth it in the end.

Could it be an Opossom? One of my 12 week olds vanished into thin air right out of her roost box last night. I strongly suspect that it was a ginormous opossom because I caught an entire family of them hanging out right next to the roost box (which was thankfully empty) this morning.

Could it be an Opossom? One of my 12 week olds vanished into thin air right out of her roost box last night. I strongly suspect that it was a ginormous opossom because I caught an entire family of them hanging out right next to the roost box (which was thankfully empty) this morning.
It's possible the OP has a possum carrying off chickens, I would lean toward Fox, Coyote or even a dog. Now @Ayuki if you have a possum hanging out next to your roost box, he/she needs to go. If she(?) had youngsters with her, then she is probably hunting eggs, but given the opportunity to have a chicken dinner, they will accept. Possums also stink :sick, carry parasites and are not a chicken's friend.

I do believe in live/let live as long as they are not messing with my chickens or making a complete nuisance of themselves. I have not had to trap and dispatch a possum, raccoon or fox since I installed electric fencing. Everything likes chicken, so you have to protect/defend you flock the best you can.

Back
Top Bottom