Please help,chicks are sick and I need advice

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
Got my chicks a week ago today. 50 are cornish rock, 6 are red star and 3 are marans hatched in my incubator. One seemed to have a wet poopy rear when I got them home. Stools have been loose enough that the chicks were getting covered with poop from each other huddling and walking on each other. Heat lamp on them and papers changed 4 times a day. Chicks were not active or chirping like they should.

I gave them di-meth Sunday and Monday and they seemed a bit better but not all the way better. The medication was old and clumpy. one chick died on sunday before I suspected coccidia

I bought a new package of corid yesterday (Monday) and mixed it up for them adding some electrolytes. I mixed it extra strong yesterday and last night. Today I mixed it like it should be. 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Last night the chicks were very active. Today they are acting quieter again. My maran chicks have droopy wings.

Some of the stools are firm while others have a lot of water in them.

I had to separate 6 of the 50 plus chicks because I felt they needed extra attention.

I can sometimes hear a raspiness when one of the chicks breathes.

Two other buyers got cornish rock from the same shipment as me and theirs are fine.

My chicks are started in a 4 x 4 pen in the house so they are not outside in a cold building. Red heat lamp bulb is over them and a sheet "tent' covers the pen.

Any idea of what is going on?

Got my chicks a week ago today. 50 are cornish rock, 6 are red star and 3 are marans hatched in my incubator. One seemed to have a wet poopy rear when I got them home. Stools have been loose enough that the chicks were getting covered with poop from each other huddling and walking on each other. Heat lamp on them and papers changed 4 times a day. Chicks were not active or chirping like they should.

I gave them di-meth Sunday and Monday and they seemed a bit better but not all the way better. The medication was old and clumpy. one chick died on sunday before I suspected coccidia

I bought a new package of corid yesterday (Monday) and mixed it up for them adding some electrolytes. I mixed it extra strong yesterday and last night. Today I mixed it like it should be. 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Last night the chicks were very active. Today they are acting quieter again. My maran chicks have droopy wings.

Some of the stools are firm while others have a lot of water in them.

I had to separate 6 of the 50 plus chicks because I felt they needed extra attention.

I can sometimes hear a raspiness when one of the chicks breathes.

Two other buyers got cornish rock from the same shipment as me and theirs are fine.

My chicks are started in a 4 x 4 pen in the house so they are not outside in a cold building. Red heat lamp bulb is over them and a sheet "tent' covers the pen.

Any idea of what is going on?
Nope, no idea. This needs to go the emergency/illness thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
That said, the chicks also need energy to get better. Right now their G.I. tracts are compromised, making it difficult for them to uptake the nutritional helps you are giving them. The emergency nutritional supplements
Poultry Nutri-Drench or Pet Nutri-Drops can help there. They are directly absorbed into the bloodstream, no digesting. Help without further strain on the G.I. tract. Both can be used interchangeably per the usage and dosage instructions in the URL below, per a conversation with the science techs at Bovidr Labs which makes both formulas. I found the best prices at Tractor Supply. Or check your local feed store.
The 4.oz bottle is plenty to get you started. Just a couple of drops per chick. 50% uptake in 10-15 minutes. 99% uptake in 30 minutes.
For more info see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
thanks Karen, I do have the poultry nutri drench and was adding drops to every quart of water for a few days. I will add it again and give some of those chicks a drop.

I had done a search on this forum for coccidiosis and found a thread where one of the members said she purchased Corrid and didnt know the proper dosage so she took a guess and put a heaping teaspoon in a gallon of water.

The actual doseage is 1/2 tsp per gallon. When I gave the medication at the recommended dose, I felt the chicks were doing bad again so I increased it to a heaping tsp per gallon of water. I also added abouty 10 drops of nutri-drench and 1/4 tsp of Rooster Booster.

Today I feel the chicks are doing better and growing.

This morning I lowered the heat lamp 2 inches. Covered the 4x4 pen again with a sheet to help keep the heat in.

I am hoping to move the chicks to the hen house tomorrow so they have more room to move.

The first chick that showed signs that something was wrong ... keeps developing a large mess of poop under his butt. I wash it off and it sticks there again. No other chick does that. My husband thought the chick has a tumor. The mound of chick poop is the size of a small grape.

Would you continue on and hope the problem clears up or euthanize?

Back
Top Bottom