Please help! Day 11 under my broody hen, but one egg has broken.

deborah

Songster
13 Years
Oct 22, 2007
Chelsea, MI
I need advice quick!

One of our 10-month old Barred Rocks went broody. We don't (can't, neighbor) have a rooster, so Frizzledhen kindly gave us some fertilized eggs and we put them under her. We have kept her on her regular nest (afraid to disturb her). We call her Mama.

It's day 11. My husband went out this morning. He said Mama had gotten off the nest and was eatting quickly. Another hen tried to get in the nest. He stopped her and he noticed one of the eggs had a small crack, but the membrane was not broke. I didn't see it. I said we should remove it, but he thought since the membrane was intact, we should give it a chance.

I just went out to the hen house with a camera. I was planning to take a picture and post it asking what we should do. I started reaching under Mama and some of the eggs were sticky. I lifted her further and I'm not sure exactly what has happened, but the cracked egg isn't there anymore.

I don't know if she, or another hen ate it. We've never had a problem with egg eatting. I'm wondering (hoping), it broke and the residue is in the nest. But I didn't want to pull her out to check more closely. Several of the remaining eggs have sticky residue on them. At least 2 were sticking to Mama's feathers. I pulled one loose.

What should I do? Should I clean the eggs? If so, with what? What happens if I remove the bloom? If I leave them am I encouraging Mama or other hens to peck at the remaining eggs?

I'm very worried. We have been so looking forward to chicks, even though I've told myself on several occasions to "not count my chickens before they're hatched". Do we have any hope? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Deb

I had that happen under my broodey hen. she was sitting on 3 eggs. 1 cracked so I thru it out, the second one cracked, so I put some elmer's school glue over the crack and left it under her. Well that egg broke and wet the other one and mama too.I didn't bother to clean it up. Needless to say the last little chickie hatched and is running around that coop like he is big. Chances are she ate the egg that busted or at least the insides of eat. I wouldn't try to wash the eggs, I would just leave them alone. IMO, I don't think you will have to worry about mama or the other's picking her egg's.
GOODLUCK!

Thank you for the reply Barnyard.

When this happened to you; how far along were the eggs? We still have 10 days to go. We had 14 eggs under her. Now just 13.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom