PLEASE HELP -- Day 19 and I don't know what to expect!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doriebrooke, Jun 21, 2009.

1. doriebrooke

doriebrooke Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    I have never hatched anything before and here it is day 19 and I'm starting to get anxious. First, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, we came home tonight and I noticed that two of the eggs had some brown goo on the outside, so dummy me, picks them up and turns them around looking to see what the problem is. Yes, I realize in retrospect that probably wasn't the best move. I just wasn't expecting anything on day 19 and I was worried that some of the bad ones may have started leaking. I've heard how bad it can be when a bad egg explodes in the incubator, and I certainly didn't want that to happen this close to hatch. So anyway, I'm wondering if I have done permanent damage to the ones I picked up (I was gentle, but...) and what to expect over the next couple of days. It's probably already on this forum somewhere, but if one of you experts could just give me a basic rundown, I would be truly grateful.

2. claud

claud Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Picking them up didn't hurt them.
    I'd be worried about that brown goo though.... do they smell? Have you been candling them?

3. doriebrooke

doriebrooke Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    I think we have candled them 3 times, with the last time being 2-3 nights ago. There is a smell, but it's not horrible.

4. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    Quote:Well, if it smells bad at all, it is probably one that died early on. Just keep an eye on it and if it continues to ooze, then it could be subject to blow...or maybe not. I have seen it go both ways but at this stage and since this is your first hatch, it will be a learning experience all the way around.[​IMG]
    If you keep it in the bator and it does not hatch, make sure to break it open to see what actually did happen to it. That way you will have a better idea what to do the next time it happens, and it will, that is just the way it is.[​IMG]
    Best of luck with your hatch and remember that mother nature knows best; in other words, try not to "help them out" unless it is obvious that one is in some sort of distress![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: