Please help. Day 23 chicken hatch just one hatched. Should I open incubator to check the other 10 eg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countrylover, Jan 3, 2014.

1. countrylover

countrylover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    This site is great and the articles have helped me lots before.

I'm in a quandary...I have 10 chicken eggs in an automatic incubator. Day 22. One egg hatched today and the other 9 are not even moving/wobbling/chirping. I'm worried they will not hatch. I want to check to see if they are alive but am worried that if I open the incubator I will jeopardize the entire hatch. Rather long winded sorry! Oh and the eggs were set 8 days after being laid. Should I wait or check?
    Thanks so much for any advice. Much appreciated.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

If none of these unhatched eggs have not pipped, then you can quickly open the incubator. It is most important when they are pipping that you do not want to lose the high humidity. If nothing is going on, you can get the hatched chick out when he is fully dry and you might take out one of the eggs for a candling.

Good luck with your hatch and enjoy BYC!

3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Twocrows.

The critical time is once the shell is breached, that is when the humidity needs to be up to keep teh membrane moist. If none have externally pipped, it is somewhat safe to open the incubator and candle a few eggs.

I am assuming you have candled along the way and the eggs in there now were dark masses at Day 18?

At this point I would be listening and watching very closely for a wiggle (if they are on their sides, if they are in cartons it's much harder to spot) Once they internally pip chirping can be heard. If no sign is seen then and no other eggs are pipped I would open it up and carefully hold a few up to my ear or candle the air cell end.

The motion may make them chirp or wiggle which you can see. If there is movement or internal pips then put them back in, close it and wait another day. If nothing is seen, try a few more eggs.

Good luck, sometimes they do go over time.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. countrylover

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks sooo much. One hatched and another has pipped so fingers crossed for the others. Will keep you posted
    x

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations - the temps might have been a bit low in the 'bator which would slow their hatching day

7. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    [​IMG]! Good luck to you and your chicks!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the rest of the hatch.

9. countrylover

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks to you all. I resisted the temptation to open the incubator and two more have pipped. Very excited and hopeful the the hatched chick has some playmates tomorrow (Sat)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by