Please Help diagnose my hen!

I think you're thinking of a Red Sex-link. I've raised RIRs for years, & hated them due to their aggressive tendencies. Kept one hen since she was tame enough, & was the age of 4 before we decided to butcher her. She was still laying.
RIW and RIRs are used to create RSLs in many cases. I just assumed that hens above the age of 2 are at risk for a reproductive issue, but Wyorp Rock would know more.

RIW and RIRs are used to create RSLs in many cases. I just assumed that hens above the age of 2 are at risk for a reproductive issue, but Wyorp Rock would know more.
There's many different combinations for red Sex-links. The originals are a mix of RIR, & White Leghorns.

The bird may be a red sex link? I had one as well as a Rhode Island Red, the RIR laid well until she was around 4.5, but the red sex link started having issues at around 3 years, trouble with laying and sickness before she eventually passed despite our best efforts. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. I am no expert but some of these people are, I hope you figure it out! Best of luck!

Soi found her in the coop hiding yesterday under a ledge. Day before she was normal. She was ably. Took her inside, crushed a calcium and dropper fed her that while she soaked in a warm epsom salt bath. dried and put in crate. nothing change. Soaked again with giving her more water through dropper. She does not eat or drink. Crop empty yesterday morning. Cannot feel any egg. Her head is wobbly, closes eyes like sleepy, cannot stand at all this morning. I squished up scrambled egg and managed to get a tiny in her though she wont eat. I do not know where to go from here. I am new at this part. Please help. I hate to see her suffer. The other hens and roos seem fine. She is about 3 years old. Thank you sooooo so much!
Can you post some photos of her poop and of her?

Any injuries that you can see?

She may have a reproductive disorder, hard to know. Work on hydration first then see if she will eat.

Have you ever de-wormed her?

3 years is pretty old. Very possibly a repoductive disorder.

@Wyorp Rock could help. But for now,

How is her vent? Any poop stuck on her back end?
Is she walking weird?
Is she molting?
Is her abdomen firm or softer?
Pictures?
What breed is she?
When was the last time she layed an egg?

These are some questions that may help the experts (not me) help you better.
3 years isn't very old at all tbh. I've had alot of my chickens make it to almost 15 and lay past 10 years old

Back
Top Bottom