Please Help - Disoriented Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Re-coop-erator, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Re-coop-erator

Re-coop-erator New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    florida
    Please Help!

I have read numerous articles and posts but can't quite seem to find an exact article that matches my chicken's symptoms. Also, there are not any vets in my area that take chickens so I am really hoping someone on BYC can help me.

A couple months ago my flock was attacked by a predator killing 3 and injuring my Rooster and my, now sick chicken, Felicia. After the attack, Felicia's neck seemed to be a bit more arched than before but it did not seem to effect her day to day life. After about a week or so it seemed to be completely back to normal. A month ago, I noticed the other chickens started picking on her, pecking her and not allowing her to eat any treats we would throw in the run. One morning, I let them out of the coop and Felicia was bloody and battered. There is absolutely no way it was a predator as we have taken extensive measures to secure the coop since the initial predator attack. I immediately removed her from the flock. My fiancé' and I built Felicia her own "re-coop-erator" so she could heal in peace. Ever since the other chickens attacked her she has been having issues that are getting worse -

Name: Felicia
    Symptoms: Unable to walk/stand up without falling over. Tilts backwards when standing up. disoriented (appearing to be drunk) walks to the side, cannot eat correctly (she looks at the food, then swipes her beak across it as if she were trying to wipe her beak clean). Minimal water consumption. Very sleepy tired and lethargic.

Onset: 2 weeks ago

There are not any lesions anywhere on her body. Her feet and comb coloration seems normal. There are no respiratory issues. She does not seem to be in any pain, but she is very lethargic.

Fort the past 2 days I have had her in our master bath tub lined with old clothing and a heat lamp. I have been giving her water through a dropper as she has not been drinking on her own.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Felicia's Re-Coop-erator (above)

[​IMG]
    Chicken Coop (above)

[​IMG]
    Felicia (above)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by