Please help! Excessive drinking but empty crop

Helen_Jayne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 7, 2018
Sheffield, UK
I've got up this morning and a hen and a cockerel both drank gallons. The hen wasn't looking too good but she seems ok now but the sebright cockerel, who is about 4 months old is not good. He's drinking loads but then the liquid started to come out of his crop, I held him upside down and let it drain out. I put him in a warm box with heat pad and he started drinking again but I can hear gurgling as he drinks. Could it be some sort of blockage?? I don't know what to do for the best.
Please help!!!

Chickens drink alot of water when it's hot, always provide fresh cool/cold water for them to drink.
I dont recommend turning a chicken upside down especially after drinking water. When turned right side up, water or fluid can easily go down in the trachea, then there will be big problems. It's similar for us when water goes down our windpipe, but worse for chickens.

The problem was he was vomiting, there was liquidy stuff frothing out of his beak. I thought the birds had got better but I've had to isolate them both now. Both birds are behaving as birds are when they're sick, very quiet, puffed up, looking ill. Can anyone advise?

Back
Top Bottom