Please Help! Eye worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poultryhaven, Jun 11, 2010.

1. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I have a White Silkied Serama roo and his eye is watery and has a white something pertruding out of it. I have researched eye worm but cant find a pic. Yesterday I attempted to get it out wiith tweezers and got most of it but its back today! [​IMG] I have VetRX but I dont wanna use it if its not Eye worms. They are up on wire and I read it comes from cockroaches. I havent seen a roach around any of my birds. [​IMG] So please help me. Pics coming soon

2. poultryhaven

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Pics..... Please help [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Thats exactly what one of my hens have. Anyone know anything on this? I'm clueless as well.

4. poultryhaven

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    It looks painful and I hate it [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what it is but I'm sure someone else more experience here will. I would suggest separating your chicken that is infected ASAP if you have not all ready just to be safe. Oh and free bump! I'm subing this topic too.

6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. poultryhaven

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Thank you. I read that but I dont wanna treat it for Eye worms if its not. I wanna be sure it is Eye worms before I medicate him for it. [​IMG] I really dont wanna lose him. He's the one in my Avatar

8. poultryhaven

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Anyone? [​IMG]

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    One of my hens has the exact same thing... I was just about to ask what it is, and how to treat it... Does anybody know? Oh I hope it's not eye worm! [​IMG] After reading WingingIt's link, it sounds REALLY nasty to get rid of...

10. poultryhaven

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    VetRX has directions for it. If i dont get a response then im treating him tomorrow for it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by