Please help flock suddenly very I’ll lost one hen already

Vg93

In the Brooder
May 22, 2022
3 nights ago after getting home from work I let my chickens out to run around the yard they came out and some slept I didn’t think too much of it bc it was later than usual and I thought it’s kind of abnormal but I’m also home much later than usual, next day I knew something was wrong my rooster 2 hens and a Silkie were very lethargic sleeping roosters crop is hard hens were mushy silkies can’t tell all overnight lost significant weight I came outside and my newest hen was attacking the sick one and she was too weak to defend herself and died before I could stop it (the hen that killed her was my friends hen and he baby sat my chickens for a month awhile back and they lived together then didn’t think that would happen when I picked her up water came out of her mouth same with the other sick hen…. The sick Silkie (I have 4 that lost weight but aren’t acting sick ) and a bantam that seems unaffected along with the hen that killed my sickest hen.. my friend says coccidia and I have seen the red/orange in the diarrhea of the Silkie but does that cause vomiting and hard crop? I don’t want anymore to die does anyone have any input on what this could be does coccidia cause vomiting (I’ve been giving them corid 9 on day 2 of treatment not showing any improvement really
Symptoms I noticed
All lost weight
The 3 noticeably sick ones sleep constantly loose stool drink a lot
Rooster hard crop
Hen squishy crop vomits when picked up
Dead hen squishy crop vomiting when picked up
Silkie noticed the red/orange in Stool
3 days ago all were completely normal
Besides my oldest Silkie who’s fine now I had thought she was egg bound brought her in and determined it was a bad molt but she was sleeping a lot but if I took her out she’d eat and run around with the rest and then she was fine n then a day or two later this all started

Also it wasn’t a bad molt bc she still has a bald head from rooster mating with her so she never molted they just thought she was cause her feathers got all matted in a way i bathed her in Epsom salts (when I thought she was egg bound ) and got those feathers out her butt ones had stuck poop along with the currently sick Silkie is constantly getting poop in his butt feathers I’ve been cleaning him a lot but he keeps re soiling himself the hen and rooster are not having this issue of poop cakked feathers on butt rooster hasn’t crowed all day

3 nights ago after getting home from work I let my chickens out to run around the yard they came out and some slept I didn’t think too much of it bc it was later than usual and I thought it’s kind of abnormal but I’m also home much later than usual, next day I knew something was wrong my rooster 2 hens and a Silkie were very lethargic sleeping roosters crop is hard hens were mushy silkies can’t tell all overnight lost significant weight I came outside and my newest hen was attacking the sick one and she was too weak to defend herself and died before I could stop it (the hen that killed her was my friends hen and he baby sat my chickens for a month awhile back and they lived together then didn’t think that would happen when I picked her up water came out of her mouth same with the other sick hen…. The sick Silkie (I have 4 that lost weight but aren’t acting sick ) and a bantam that seems unaffected along with the hen that killed my sickest hen.. my friend says coccidia and I have seen the red/orange in the diarrhea of the Silkie but does that cause vomiting and hard crop? I don’t want anymore to die does anyone have any input on what this could be does coccidia cause vomiting (I’ve been giving them corid 9 on day 2 of treatment not showing any improvement really
Symptoms I noticed
All lost weight
The 3 noticeably sick ones sleep constantly loose stool drink a lot
Rooster hard crop
Hen squishy crop vomits when picked up
Dead hen squishy crop vomiting when picked up
Silkie noticed the red/orange in Stool
3 days ago all were completely normal
Besides my oldest Silkie who’s fine now I had thought she was egg bound brought her in and determined it was a bad molt but she was sleeping a lot but if I took her out she’d eat and run around with the rest and then she was fine n then a day or two later this all started
Well squishy crop indicates sour crop. Which can be caused by moldy feed, and mycotoxicosis from moldy food can cause increased thirst, lack of appetite, lethargy. Death, diarrhea, etc.
you can’t always see it in feed either. If had this flock wide I would throw away all my feed, and get new. I would also get a liquid vitamin, like nutradrench and give them all an emergency dose. I would put poultry probiotics in the water as well. But if it is this, you have to remove all the feed, or they will just get worse and die.

Well squishy crop indicates sour crop. Which can be caused by moldy feed, and mycotoxicosis from moldy food can cause increased thirst, lack of appetite, lethargy. Death, diarrhea, etc.
you can’t always see it in feed either. If had this flock wide I would throw away all my feed, and get new. I would also get a liquid vitamin, like nutradrench and give them all an emergency dose. I would put poultry probiotics in the water as well. But if it is this, you have to remove all the feed, or they will just get worse and die.
I agree with @Opiumbrella thoroughly check your feed for mold, and do what was suggested.

I hope some more very knowledgeable members will be of help soon, I hope you can get your chickens back in good health and have no more losses:hugs

Come to think of it the bag of feed I bought smelled dampish when I opened it

Lost my rooster and the other sick hen closest place I could get the meds was over an hour drive one way I brought them with cause it was cold and rainy out and wanted to get the meds In them asap after rooster passed this morning :/ I can’t remember the last time I cried like that it’s illegal to have chickens in my town and before getting sick last thing he remembers is me yelling at him to stop crowing I gave her the meds in parking lot she seemed ok and was cold and stiff when I got home worse is the last of thier eggs I had from the ones I lost hatched today so they will probably catch it I have them far apart and will wash hands constantly and make sure nothing that’s touched them gets near the babies I especially need these chicks to make it they’re all I have left of the dead ones

Back
Top Bottom