Please help! Found mites on hen that is not feeling well...?! UPDATE- any other ideas, please?

Update- she has been bathed, dried with blow dryer and is resting in a crate. I nudged her out of the nesting box this morning and she vomited a little fluid. I felt her crop and it feels a little airy, no hard lumps or anything. She then vomited again a little when I set her back down. Occasionally, she smacks her beak like she is tasting whatever it is trying to come up. If she is getting a sour crop, is this normal that they will vomit the fermented substance on their own or what? She walked about free ranging, but didn't seem too interested. I have only seen her crook her neck sideways one time today. While in the yard she would lay down every now and then. She still runs pretty fast when I am trying to pick her up. I checked her vent and there doesn't seem to be an issue w/ a stuck egg... She was very lively after her bath and flew away from me when blow drying her. After her bath, I had quite a few dead bugs on my pants afterwards...I am thinking that I will now treat with the Ivomec- 3 drops on her back and keep watching her. I will let her out to free range and get fresh air in a little while with the others. Maybe that will perk her up a bit. I also gave her water w/ ACV, raisins soaked in ACV, water and acidophilus powder and yogurt on the side w/ live cultures...She hasn't eaten any of the raisins or yogurt that I can tell today. What else should I do?

I have never experienced sour crop so cannot answer on it.

Hope someone else can chirp in with some more input to help you out.
Does she have access to regular food? Is she over drinking perhaps?

Wish I could be more helpful. Bumping incase anyone else has good input for ya.

OK, thank you! I did treat her w/ three drops of Ivomec pour on around 2 pm today. She did eat a couple of mandarin oranges sections sprinkled with acidophilus powder and liquid echinacea (natural antibiotic). Tonight I let her out of the crate and she went off looking for bugs, etc. She drank water and she seemed to feel much better... I didn't see her drink water in the crate. She almost seemed like normal ranging in the yard- she actually scratched and pecked over and over which she did not do yesterday or this morning. She is roosting in the coop w/ the others.
Should I separate her in the morning from the normal pellet feed and let the crop hopefully clean out w/ the yogurt, ACV raisins, etc.? Or should I just watch her and if she seems odd then separate her?
Also, I used 7 dust, cleaned the coop, replaced bedding and put 7 dust in the normal dust bathing spots and on the roosts...I found one other w/ the bugs. Will treat her tomorrow...Thanks again for any replies!

Back
Top Bottom