Please help- handling baby chicks

Sounds like a couple of the posts here are from "new to chicken" People? I am new to chickens myself.

I am wondering, what all breeds you have?
My 2 black australorps arn't nearly as friendly as my Dominiques(Who Hog alot of the holding time) I have mine in the laundry room too, they are 3 weeks old and the Dom's jump up on the waterer when they see you coming and then onto your hand as soon as you lift the screen.

My wife and I have been doing mostly all the same stuff as the rest of you. I do one thing I didnt see mentioned; I have a soft high pitched whistle I do that sounds similar to their chirping, this gets their attention and makes them curious, makes them think i'm one of them. If you can do a similar whistle you might try it. Admitedly I dont whistle quite the same way most people do.
big_smile.png

GL and , everyone edit your posts and say what breed you have, if your post doesnt already say it.
smile.png

Last edited:
I had the hatchery make me a mixed batch -so I'm not completely sure what I have.
I'm pretty sure my black ones are Australorps as well, and they do seem more shy than the others.

The reddish ones I have are probably RI reds? they seem the most curious and are not shy at all. The little yellows fuzzies are the ones I have no idea the breed yet........but they're not too shy. not sure on any of the breeds really. I'll have to wait until they grow up.

We are definetly new at this...We bought our chicks at the local feed store after reading quite a bit...We wanted good laying hens that were friendly and social. We ended up with a Road Island Red, Ruby...so far she is VERY curious and cute.
A silver laced wyandotte, Mini she is the smallest and a bit aloof. Lucy is a Plymouth Rock and also a bit flighty, runs to the other side of the brooder when the big hand apears!!! Chip is an Ameraucana
she is a bit odd looking. Her head is much bigger than any one else and very fluffy. And she is noisy! If she is seperated from the others she throws a fit!
Be Be is the last one and I believe she is also a Ameraucana, she is just sweet jumps on your hand as soon as you open the door to the brooder then she will just sit quietly in your hand as long as you let her. Thats our brood!!! I really appreciate this site is has been a great help!

okay so the chicks are a little older now and they are definately friendly. I took them out in the yard and sat with them in a makeshift chicken pen for a couple of hours. when the wind blew they got a little cold and cuddled up to me for warmth.

thanks guys for the suggestions. helped a lot!

I've also been holding and petting my babies every day (several times usually) in hopes of getting them used to me... they're still not big fans of it but I'm sticking with it! I've got 10 true Araucanas that are 8 days old today and just as cute as can be. The black ones don't seem to mind the petting as much as the fluffy yellow ones do, and one of the yellows pitches an almighty fit when you pick it up! NOISY little thing, lol! And the blue one seems to be resigned to it--being the only blue, it gets lots of attention.

They still move away from my hand when I reach into the brooder, but they don't scatter. I have no trouble picking them up or catching them. Today I'm hoping to take them out on the grass for the first time, if the sun comes out and the weather turns a little nicer that is!

Another thing, I've tried giving them crumbled egg yolk from my hand and they are just not impressed at all. Strange because others on here have said their chicks go wild for it! Mine do like to chase moths that flutter around their light, though. Maybe I should catch moths and hand-feed them those, lol! (They've been getting grit for a couple of days now, ever since they started their moth-snacking.)

Back
Top Bottom