Please help hen acting as if drunk

Danish aseels

Songster
Nov 27, 2019
Pakistan
Chicken acting as if drunk

One of my chickens is moving its head left and right and looks disoriented and often wobbles and falls. I observed this in much greater severity when I was standing away from it but when I moved nearer and its focus shifted to me and the issue decreased. I don't know what this is, could it be neurological

Here is the video

It isn’t as much in this video but it was a lot worser

Can you get a super B complex supplement, tablet or capsule? Human ones. I would start with that, give one daily. You need thiamine and riboflavin particularly, make sure it contains those, a super B should have all the B's in it. The B's are very safe, no risk of overdosing. B deficiencies are fairly common, so best to address those first, and they can cause neurological or neuromuscular symptoms. Vitamin E might also be helpful, one capsule, squirt it in the beak, and give with a bit of cooked egg for some selenium to help with the uptake of the E.

If you're trying to get riboflavin in her you can also supplement with nutritional yeast. It has tons of it and they think it's a nice snack

Attachments

• th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
Nutritional yeast has vitamins, but if this is a deficiency then high doses are needed to get it reversed. If at all possible I would use a super B complex supplement so that you can get the levels up quickly.

Will this work?

Attachments

• D495A906-5C37-45A4-B4F2-6C95255D4F86.png
    D495A906-5C37-45A4-B4F2-6C95255D4F86.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 8F9D7ED1-9815-40A7-98EF-BD29E8F74877.png
    8F9D7ED1-9815-40A7-98EF-BD29E8F74877.png
    3 MB · Views: 4
Yes, that will likely work, only issue is that it's mixed in drinking water so you really need to make sure the bird is drinking well, to make sure it take in enough. I would use the extreme case dosing and give some of that mixture orally also, several times a day if the bird isn't drinking well, or is having trouble drinking. The vitamins can't help if they don't get in.

Do that every day until you see some improvement. Then continue for a few days after things seem to be normal. Sometimes you get results very quickly (assuming it's a deficiency) and sometimes it can take several days or more. If things get worse, let us know.

Back
Top Bottom