Please help! Hen dying from cocci - should I use toltrazuril?

sweetfieldsfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2020
Please help - I feel desperate and sad writing this, and I’ve searched endlessly online without too many clear answers. My sweet 6 month old pullet who of course has quickly become one of my favorites of all time (named Sweet Pea) was in a pen with two other younger chicks that died suddenly from what appeared to be cocci (bloody stool, sudden death). This happened last Friday, and since then I have had her separated indoors, and I’ve been giving her Corid as well as rooster booster in her main drinking water. She seemed to be getting better (no more bloody poops) and had even started eating again yesterday (she’s very thin and emaciated/was barely eating), but today she’s even more puffed up and lethargic and does not seem to be eating again. I thought for sure that Corid could pull her through, but I’m wondering now if it would be safe or advisable to try another medication? I had purchased something called Endocox (toltrazuril) some time ago as part of an emergency med kit in case it could be helpful for anything, but I can’t seem to find anything for it online/dosage for a single bantam hen anywhere. Now I’ve scared myself into not trying it because I’d rather see what others think and have experienced before I try anything. I just love my little Sweet Pea so much and I want to save her, but I also don’t want to make things worse with a medication I’m not familiar with. Had anyone used toltrazuril for chickens before? Would it be safe to use after using Corid for about 4-5 days? I desperately want to help her and welcome any advice. Thank you! 🙏

Please help - I feel desperate and sad writing this, and I’ve searched endlessly online without too many clear answers. My sweet 6 month old pullet who of course has quickly become one of my favorites of all time (named Sweet Pea) was in a pen with two other younger chicks that died suddenly from what appeared to be cocci (bloody stool, sudden death). This happened last Friday, and since then I have had her separated indoors, and I’ve been giving her Corid as well as rooster booster in her main drinking water. She seemed to be getting better (no more bloody poops) and had even started eating again yesterday (she’s very thin and emaciated/was barely eating), but today she’s even more puffed up and lethargic and does not seem to be eating again. I thought for sure that Corid could pull her through, but I’m wondering now if it would be safe or advisable to try another medication? I had purchased something called Endocox (toltrazuril) some time ago as part of an emergency med kit in case it could be helpful for anything, but I can’t seem to find anything for it online/dosage for a single bantam hen anywhere. Now I’ve scared myself into not trying it because I’d rather see what others think and have experienced before I try anything. I just love my little Sweet Pea so much and I want to save her, but I also don’t want to make things worse with a medication I’m not familiar with. Had anyone used toltrazuril for chickens before? Would it be safe to use after using Corid for about 4-5 days? I desperately want to help her and welcome any advice. Thank you! 🙏
DDAFB1DE-7986-4FEB-A2B5-A970221F9F3F.jpeg

I would mix it as it says on the package, 1 tsp per gallon, and give it for 3 days. You can make a smaller quantity in the same dosage—1/4 tsp per quart or liter. It should drink enough to get the right dosage. Sorry about your pullet. I believe that @casportpony has it toltrazuril and perhaps in combination with other drugs.

6 month old pullet who of course has quickly become one of my favorites of all time (named Sweet Pea) was in a pen with two other younger chicks that died suddenly from what appeared to be cocci (bloody stool, sudden death). This happened last Friday, and since then I have had her separated indoors, and I’ve been giving her Corid as well as rooster booster in her main drinking water.
Please post some photos of the pullet and her poop.

I would try the Toltrazuril and see if that helps.

Extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) shouldn't be given with Corid, so if you were adding rooster booster with the Corid, this may be the reason it was not effective IF Coccidiosis is the problem.

I just used that same endocox for my turkeys, (and chickens because they share the same water bucket). Use the mixing directions on the package, it will not hurt them. The coccidiosis that I have is resistant to Corid so I have to use Endocox.

I would mix it as it says on the package, 1 tsp per gallon, and give it for 3 days. You can make a smaller quantity in the same dosage—1/4 tsp per quart or liter. It should drink enough to get the right dosage. Sorry about your pullet. I believe that @casportpony has it toltrazuril and perhaps in combination with other drugs.
Thank you for the help with the conversion for a smaller quantity. I’m going to start this right now because the poor thing is seeming as weak as she was on Friday again :(

Thank you so much, and I’ll keep everyone posted.

Please post some photos of the pullet and her poop.

I would try the Toltrazuril and see if that helps.

Extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) shouldn't be given with Corid, so if you were adding rooster booster with the Corid, this may be the reason it was not effective IF Coccidiosis is the problem.
This definitely makes sense then and I regret doing the rooster booster now. I had read on a blog somewhere that good probiotics can help in the fight against bad bugs in her system, but that would definitely explain why she seems to be reverting to a weaker version of herself again. I’ll get updated photos of her today, but she has her feathers puffed up, is very thin, hardly moves around (was moving around better a couple of days ago) and when I first started treating her was pooping watery and very bloody bright red poops. Yesterday, her poop appears mostly solid with little to no blood present, but I’ll get some photos when treating her today. She’s so special to me and I’m so worried. Thank you so much for the help!

I just used that same endocox for my turkeys, (and chickens because they share the same water bucket). Use the mixing directions on the package, it will not hurt them. The coccidiosis that I have is resistant to Corid so I have to use Endocox.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I had read something somewhere as well about certain strains of cocci being resistant to Corid and now I’m thinking this might be what’s going on here. It killed those other much younger chicks so quickly and I’m so worried about whatever strain this one might be :(

thank you again, and I’ll keep everyone posted 🙏

Here is my little Sweet Pea - she’s a project mille fleur bantam and the most personable sweet little chicken, I’m so worried about her :( I made the mixture of endocox powder using 1/4 tsp in a quart mason jar and she sipped some of the mixture (thank you @Eggcessive). I also made her a “smoothie” of sorts since she has not been eating crumbles today, and gave her about 6-7 dropper fulls of the food smoothie for now. I blended up scrambled eggs, spinach/kale greens, and some blueberries from outside with her regular protein crumbles. I also added a tiny sprinkle of prozyme powder to the smoothie as she’s just skin and bones (maybe she’s having trouble absorbing nutrients from food?) She made happy chirpy sounds as I helped feed her the smoothie, but still isn’t getting up to walk or move around after her breakfast which worries me because she had started to move around again 2 days ago. Here’s to hoping the endocox will help some :( should I continue sprinkles of prozyme with her food smoothies today you think? I don’t want to overdo it, but I just want to help her. Thank you all.

Attachments

• 64570AC9-8142-41E2-8E17-D96A4FC44812.jpeg
    64570AC9-8142-41E2-8E17-D96A4FC44812.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 32
  • AB0BCDFA-35A2-4698-8174-C6578F6062EC.jpeg
    AB0BCDFA-35A2-4698-8174-C6578F6062EC.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 24
It takes time for the intestines to heal. The medicine stops the coccidia life cycle but it still has to heal by itself. This is from Gail Damerow's Chicken Health Book.
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.56.32 AM.png

Someone on here (I forgot who) recommended feeding the recovering chickens buttermilk, beceause it contains probiotics and will form a protective coating.

Back
Top Bottom