Please help! Hen has torn skin on both sides and broken off wing feathers!

One more thought here, you said two roosters... How many hens? When I only had 3 hens for my rooster he was more aggressive. They like to boss around/mate with a few girls.
I added two more and he hasn't been as bad until now two are on nests.
It's alot of moving things around but I separate him with two hens into a small pen in the early morning and take them out to roam then swap out the others into the little pen and let him and the other girls have the run. Not sure of your set up but it's a juggling act since I decided to keep him. He has his sweet moments for sure when he is out roaming and is excited to share a grub with the hens, he also let's them eat first and I still handle him every day to pet and try to calm him
I have 13 hens and two roosters. The younger one has not perfected mounting and it doesn’t help things that my main rooster runs at him the second he sees him trying to mount. It causes him to almost springboard off of them. I believe that’s how she got so badly ripped open. Anyways... I separated her to her own section of coop and I pulled out this old rabbit cage that works perfectly as a tiny Health Ward so she can come out for a little while each day to enjoy the warm sun. It’s still a bit chilly here in Massachusetts so on nice days I’ll bring her out while she’s healing. I hope she heals 😔 poor little Maple. I ended up flushing out the pockets with water...somewhat. It definitely did not get all the debris out, but after that I poured betadine with some water and poured it into the pockets and kind of pumped it out by pushing on it, then the same with hydrogen peroxide. I only had some blue kote at the time so I sprayed a little on the upper portion of her wings. After reading some other people’s thoughts on the blue kote, I decided I won’t use that anymore. This morning I ran out and bought antibiotic ointment and vetericyn plus spray. She’s not eating really, but she has been drinking a little and actually stood up a little. She’s definitely enjoying the sunlight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I have 13 hens and two roosters. The younger one has not perfected mounting and it doesn’t help things that my main rooster runs at him the second he sees him trying to mount. It causes him to almost springboard off of them. I believe that’s how she got so badly ripped open. Anyways... I separated her to her own section of coop and I pulled out this old rabbit cage that works perfectly as a tiny Health Ward so she can come out for a little while each day to enjoy the warm sun. It’s still a bit chilly here in Massachusetts so on nice days I’ll bring her out while she’s healing. I hope she heals 😔 poor little Maple. I ended up flushing out the pockets with water...somewhat. It definitely did not get all the debris out, but after that I poured betadine with some water and poured it into the pockets and kind of pumped it out by pushing on it, then the same with hydrogen peroxide. I only had some blue kote at the time so I sprayed a little on the upper portion of her wings. After reading some other people’s thoughts on the blue kote, I decided I won’t use that anymore. This morning I ran out and bought antibiotic ointment and vetericyn plus spray. She’s not eating really, but she has been drinking a little and actually stood up a little. She’s definitely enjoying the sunlight.
Oh wow that's a large area. My hen had maybe a two inch area. I haven't heard bad things about the blue kote and it did help my one hen and duck w small wounds. I think coating it in something, antibiotic ointment or blue kote will at least protect it somewhat from dirt.
I also use colloidal silver on all my pets, rabbits, cats, chicken when it was just a chick and had a fever,.. as well as myself.
Good luck and hoping that sunlight and fresh air provides good recovery . I would probably not have her out at high noon with strongest rays and open wound

To anyone who read this post and was curious… yes my sweet Maple fully recovered! Those wide open pockets never closed up. They kind of almost dried up and shrunk back to form an odd bumped out area. The parts underneath where you could basically see her.. meat ..kind of firmed up and became like leather. Never grew new skin. But everything’s all healed up and scarred now. Not pretty, but at least it’s hidden under her wings. She’s happy and healthy. Crazy how resilient chickens are. I fully excepted that she was going to die, and I would just try to keep her comfortable until then…but she is all good y’all!!

How long are your oldest rooster's spurs? I get gash wounds on my hens hips if the spurs are too long, so I trim, or remove the spurs routinely when needed to prevent injuries.

Glad to hear your hen prevailed, OP!

One of my hens got torn up by a neighbor's dog and had a pretty gruesome injury. The tissue eventually closed but left a palm sized scar where the edges worked their way together- I think the word is granulation (thanks, Vet Ranch!). That's almost two years ago and there's not even a hint of feathers, just a scar that looks like a patch of melted wax.

Back
Top Bottom