Please help! Hen or rooster????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenbarn-gal, Jul 9, 2010.

1. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
  2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    She looks like a hen to me. small comb, no pointing on the hackles, short tail.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Looks like a rooster.. See the poofy feathers in front of his tail? They are darker shade of buff and getting pointy. A hen will get a nice small tail while the roo will be slower and get in a few long feathers at a time...
    And hens can crow but it is older ones who have a hormone inbalance of sorts.

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say rooster as well. That one tail feather coming up and the saddle feathers are a darker shade of buff.

Blessings-
    Em

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    it's a cockeral, sickle saddle feathers are visible....

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i see a knob on the leg, rooster

7. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Okay thanks So much for your help!!

So the question is now, I have another rooster He is the head rooster. I don't think it would be too good if I keep the two rooster together! Right now they are not fighting, or anything like that, but I still don't want two roosters, two different ones crowing in the morning/noon/night, and I REALLY don't want them fighting!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So I think I'm going to eat our little "Surprise rooster"... But do you think he should get a little bigger? Or now because his meat is tender? He is about 5 months old....

What do you think??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by