Please help! I don't know what to do!!

ChickenDog0421

Chirping
Apr 6, 2016
Washington
I need help!! I have a 2 week old Whiteleg Horn chick and she isn't doing good at all. It first started Sunday and I noticed it around 12 that afternoon. On Sunday I picked her up and noticed that she was trying to peep but nothing was coming out, then I put her down and she kinda stumbled around, found the heat lamp and just stood there with her eyes closed. She's gotten a lot worse now. I'm giving her water through a dropper which she drinks but falls asleep in my hands while I'm trying to give it to her. She won't really eat food except for if I put it in her beak and then a tiny bit goes into her mouth. On Sunday she could walk on her own but now she can't. I will help her stand up but then she just falls back down to her side. I don't know what to do. I'm keeping her warm and offering plenty of water and trying to offer some food. She's the only one out of seven other chicks who is doing this :( please help me! I love this chick so much it would brake my heart to lose her!:(

Try her with a little sugar water - see if she will take that. Also mix a small amount of crumbles with water to form a slop, she may eat some of it. You are doing everything possible for this little bird.....

Try her with a little sugar water - see if she will take that. Also mix a small amount of crumbles with water to form a slop, she may eat some of it. You are doing everything possible for this little bird.....

Thank you, I just tried it and she ate a little bit but not on her own. I had to put her beak in the food a little bit and then she would eat what got in her mouth but she never actually pecked at it. It's like she can't or doesn't want to eat and drink :( I currently have alarms that will be going off throughout the night so I can get up and give her water and food

Get some vitamins with electrolytes, such as SaveAChick, to add to it's water, or a bottle of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give it 1 ml daily. Dip the chick's beak in water several times an hour all day long. It may be stressed from some reason, and electrolytes may give it strength. Check it's bottom for pasty butt which can prevent it from pooping, and clean it off daily when needed. What temperature is your brooder? Check the chick's crop to feel if it is empty or full and hard.

Get some vitamins with electrolytes, such as SaveAChick, to add to it's water, or a bottle of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give it 1 ml daily. Dip the chick's beak in water several times an hour all day long. It may be stressed from some reason, and electrolytes may give it strength. Check it's bottom for pasty butt which can prevent it from pooping, and clean it off daily when needed. What temperature is your brooder? Check the chick's crop to feel if it is empty or full and hard.

We have been putting that Save-A-Chick mix packets in with her water and then using a syringe to get her to drink it. Her butt is clean I make sure to check every time I see her and her brooder is at 85 degrees since she is 2 weeks old. When I put her in front of her crumble chick starter food she pecks at it and then falls asleep. I'm mainly concerned about her ability to move on her own. She can't stand and she hates to sit up straight, when she does she peeps very loudly and then throws her slef over to her side and kicks her legs out kind of straight but then when she gets comfy and relaxes her legs bend and aren't so straight. There's a picture below of how she lays when she's asleep and awake, so basically she in the position all day except for when I pick her up to get her food and water

Last edited:
She might not make it as you are probably aware. Make sure that she has a cooler spot in the brooder if she gets too warm.Some chicks can be born weak or have immunity problems. You are doing a great job with her, and we can only try to get them to eat and drink as often as we can. I will dip beaks into water several times an hour for a day or two with a weak chick, and sprinkle chick crumbles around their feet on paper towels to get them to eat. Sometimes they can suffer unknown stresses before you get them that can affect how they will do. I do hope she perks up soon.

Last edited:
She might not make it as you are probably aware. Make sure that she has a cooler spot in the brooder if she gets too warm.Some chicks can be born weak or have immunity problems. You are doing a great job with her, and we can only try to get them to eat and drink as often as we can. I will dip beaks into water several times an hour for a day or two with a weak chick, and sprinkle chick crumbles around their feet on paper towels to get them to eat. Sometimes they can suffer unknown stresses before you get them that can affect how they will do. I do hope she perks up soon.

She has perked up a lot which is great! But still can't walk on her feet, instead she walks on her whole leg and kind of stomps around. She is starting lay down on her legs like the rest of the chicks do but for some reason can't seem to stand on just her feet. But she is perfectly capable of getting to her food and water on her own now :) so proud of her for pulling through and making it this far! Hopefully she will figure out a easy way for her to get around

Are you still using the vitamins in her water? You could use PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins instead 2 drops orally for her each day. Is she walking on her elbows or hocks?

Back
Top Bottom