PLEASE HELP I don't know whats wrong with her!

BellaBokBok

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Australia
Both of my girls were sitting in the dogs kennel, because the sun went down so they just looked for some where comfortable, so I turned on the back yard light and one of them got out, but the other just stayed there for another 20 minutes. Then she stood up, so I helped nudge her out of there. She wasn't making any sounds before, after or during.
She took a few slow steps and then slowly her tail feathers lifted up and she did this strange white, bubbly, watery poop. Only a couple drops of it. Then she just slowly stepped towards the coop a little. Her sister was happily chasing bugs, just she was very quiet and slow, not her usual trouble making self. I just felt under her and there wasn't an obvious egg shaped bulge, just her bones that I always feel poking out when I pick either of them up, so I don't think she's egg bound. My mum gives them a lot of random things from the kitchen ,so she could have eaten something bad... But he comb is sticking up and it's nice and red. I've only been getting 1 egg a day for a couple days now but she's been acting normal up till now...
I've never had any sickness in my two girls, and they're my first chickens I'd be so heartbroken if one of them died, please help me

It doesn't sound too serious from what you described but keep a careful watch on her to be sure there are no other symptoms. Mine sometimes have that weird poop thing but are back to normal in a day or so. It probably wasn't anything that was thrown to them from the kitchen as chickens eat just about everything. As for the egg laying what are you giving them for their usual food? Are they getting enough protein and calcium? And how old are they?

they're about a year old, this chistmas will be their second. I feed them standard layer pellets from my local rural supply store, and have been since they started laying. I used to get a consistent 2 a day, but now there is no routine, which im fine with I don't eat eggs very often, I'm just worried about their health

Winter has a bad habit of making hens have an unpredictable laying schedule. I used to get a dozen or more a day in the summer an now ill get 3 or 4 a day at most. You're feeding them a good diet but maybe if you added some crushed oyster shell for extra calcium. It might help them lay a little more. I don't know if you have a light in your coop but adding extra " daylight" hours while they are in there will help too. As for them being sick just keep an eye out for symptoms like runny nose lots of sneezing if they have a lot of green watery poop etc... What I would recommend is giving her some vitamin water. It will help her feel better and give her a good chance of fighting whatever is making her feel under the weather. I use lifelytes from tractor supply but Gatorade will work in a pinch. I usually give it every week or so to mine. Keeps them happy and healthy. I really hope this helps its never fun to have a sick baby.

It's actually summer in Australia right now
I woke up to a thin, empty shell in the middle of the run so I think that was her problem, she's acting all normal now

Oh that's wonderful! I'm so glad she's feeling better. As for the winter thing I just assumed you were in America haha very happy everything is going good. :)

Back
Top Bottom