1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help i feel like im doing this all wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jonbanks, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    My chicks hate human contact i feed them water them and i pet them when i handle them. all they do is run from me. sometimes it looks like they try to peck me. i clean there pen every other day. i even let them wander yard for few hrs each day im off. im a fireman so i work every other day. my wife takes care of them on the days i work. what am i doin wrong. they are bout 4 or5 weeks. thay are rirs and they are all female i think

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Sit still and let them come to you. Talk to them without trying to make contact so they get to know your voice. When you let them out in the yard, just sit there in a lawn chair. They will probably get comfortable enough to check you out. Without hands they explore by pecking. They peck everything the same way babies put everything in their mouths.

BTW, I think petting can actually be a little scare for them.

3. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Quote:I agree.....and treats......you can never go wrong with treats!!!!! [​IMG]

4. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    thanks you for the input i just dont wanna screw up these birds

5. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    i gave a little bit of oatmeal but i heard my chicks were to young for treats

6. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 4 sex-links that I got when they were 4 weeks old. I went into their run every night after work and held them and walked around with them. 1 hated being held.
    We have 6 RIR's that we got as day old,( they are 11 weeks old now) and I held them every day, and took care of them as you do yours. There's only 1 that will let me touch her without running too far. We have 5 others that we got at approx 5 weeks old, and they won't let me touch them. But they will come close when I have food.
    You aren't doing anything wrong. Every chicken is different. I'd say keep offering treats, make them come and get it. Just sit quielty around them- eventually they get curious and come close.

7. lashawnb

lashawnb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I'm on my 2nd batch of chicks and still learning. On the 1st
    ones, I hand fed them and held them and they still weren't tame enough. With the 2nd batch, I let them out of the cage
    in the yard, sit & drink my coffee & feed them from my hand, not a feeder. I also give them MEALWORMS!! They are 2wks to 8wks old & eat starter crumbles & grass everyday. The mealworms are strictly a treat, but they LOOOOVE them & come running over to me any time I put my hand out. A couple even fly up into my lap. I will say though, 1 black cochin, possibly a roo, still won't come over to me even for treats!!
    Lashawn
    Bartlesville, OK
    PS you can get mealworms at a pet store or online, look up how to raise your own, it is super-duper easy & you'll have some eager friendly chics. [​IMG]

8. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I was having the same problem with mine and as a matter of fact, I still am. They take to my four year old like magic though. At first I thought it was because he was smaller and less threatning. Then I saw him catching crickets and tossing them in the run. I guess it's the treats working then. Even the young guineas will get fairly close to him now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by