Please help I have 2 dead chickens

Nancybigford

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Hi! Please help.
I noticed Saturday night both the chickens didnt get in their coop at night which was odd. But I didn’t think much about it and just picked them both up and put them in the coop. The next morning one was dead and the other one was lethargic. After some online advice, All day yesterday my husband syringe fed it water with corid and by 730 last night I took this photo and she seemed fine. She was walking around, eating, and even tried escaping her area. This morning she is now dead!. Neither of my birds have any signs of trauma. The coop looks great no Mites or bugs of any kind. No bloody or abnormal poop. Last eggs were laid Saturday. It was smaller than normal but nothing unusual about it. Both of our chickens were 15 months old and have been on the same food since they started laying. They were golden sex links and had absolutely no problems ever and each layed and egg every day even through the winter.
I have absolutely no idea what could’ve happened. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 4481439F-5F64-42F3-A4D5-980F7804AA18.jpeg
    4481439F-5F64-42F3-A4D5-980F7804AA18.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 11
What state are you in?
That bird is too old to have had coccidiosis unless you brought them from somewhere else. They would have long become resistant to the coccidia species on your property.
Should you lose another, be ready to send it to your state poultry lab for necropsy and diagnostics.

Going through a vet is more expensive. You are paying for the process twice.
I call the university, they send me a Fed-Ex label, I box it up and drop it off at the store or you can schedule a pickup and in about 2 days I have a preliminary report and a complete histology a few days later.

Back
Top Bottom